Provides general clerical support in a patient care environment. Arranges and coordinates support and ancillary services for patient care. Provides customer service to patients by facilitating business processes including appointment scheduling, check-in and check-out, pre-arrival and telephone triage. Provides administrative support for clients based programs. Responds to inquiries concerning department programs, services and activities.
- Appointment Scheduling: Able to accurately and efficiently schedule patients utilizing the MiChart system. Able to identify the best available appointment type to meet the patient and clinic/ provider needs and requirements. Able to ask and document the correct questions to assure accurate billing information is obtained and required referrals/authorizations are met. Shares outstanding balance information to the patients and/or guarantor. Able to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record to obtain information needed.
- Pre-Arrival/Arrival: Verifies insurance eligibility, ensures referral and other authorization requirements are met. Understands managed care principles. Is able to identify and initiate resolution for issues (patient balances, questions, etc.) Obtains appropriate signatures and any needed information (forms, waivers).
- Information Management: Utilizes MiChart notification process to accurately and appropriately document patient requests including urgent medical problems, prescriptions and other medical needs, and referrals. Routes patients to appropriate resources. Able to identify "red call" and "yellow card" situations and respond appropriately.
- Check-Out: Able to enter valid and complete billing information into the charge system. Able to request and process all patient payments, both copays and outstanding balances. Accurately reconciles and balances receipts and payments collected.
- Communication/Telephone Skills: Adheres to established telephone management principles. Able to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record to obtain information needed. Demonstrates good customer service telephone skills.
- Registration: Follows protocols for verifying all patient demographics and insurance information at each patient contact. Ensures that any duplicate registration numbers are resolved by notifying the registration department.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Relates work and job purpose to UMHHC mission and commitment to putting patients and families first.
- Interacts effectively and builds respectful relationships within and between units and among individuals.
- Communicates effectively in ways that enhance productivity and build respectful relationships.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Shares relevant information.
- Seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues.
- Adheres to high standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Responds positively to change, showing willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
- Fosters mutual respect and supports UMHS commitment to diversity.
- Promotes community building and diversity initiatives that help employees learn and respect each others’ differences.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, faculty, and staff by following established procedures and protocols as appropriate by job function.
- Adopts practices to improve work processes, enhance customer satisfaction and ensure excellence in daily work.
- Accomplishes work in ways that maximize productivity and available resources while minimizing waste.
- Good attendance.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine's electronic health record systems.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.