How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 144471 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 144472
A total of one(1), 1.0 FTE, Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
The Kellogg Eye Center seeks to improve lives through curing, preventing and treating eye disease.
Guiding Principles: Teamwork, Caring, Innovation, and Integrity
A very busy oculoplastic surgeon is seeking a PA/NP to help and facilitate the practice in clinic and the operating room. The position involves mostly direct patient care. The position will require a significant investment in training in ophthalmology and oculoplastic surgery, and is ideal for a recent graduate or about-to-graduate applicant who desires a challenging position that demands excellent technical skills in procedures and excellent exam skills in the clinic. The PA/NP will assist in clinic, hold a parallel clinic, assist with an eyelid lesion clinic, assist in the OR, and report directly to the supervising surgeon. The schedule will need to be flexible, and will likely involve irregular clinic hours, including evening clinics and occasional inpatient rounding.
Perform the duties of Physician Assistant, including:
- Provide surgical assistance to ophthalmic cases, including perioperative care
- Work with both adult and pediatric patients, including those with significant facial deformities, including from trauma, cancer or congenital anomalies.
- Provide independent evaluation and assessment of common straight-forward oculoplastic surgery patients, with both direct and indirect supervision, to determine insurance eligibility for eyelid surgery, manage routine post-operative patients, and share long-term follow ups of chronic care patients.
- Provide specialized patient education regarding disease-based and perioperative education/instructions for patients and their families.
- Review possible risks of proposed surgical procedure while obtaining surgical consents (including blood consent and optional tissue research).
- Provide prescriptions and instructions for medications/medical supplies necessary for the pre-operative period.
- Maintain excellent medical records in an Epic-based EHR, and assist the supervising surgeon with medical record keeping.
- Generally work as the right-hand person in a team-oriented fashion to help care for oculoplastic patients and run the oculoplastic practice.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Patient Care Services job family under number 144472 for PAs to apply.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
Applicants who have left the UMPNC bargaining unit must include on their resume dates of past employment including months and years of service along with effort.
Positions less than 20 hours/week may be combined.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
Required Qualifications (NP):
- Current licensure as a Nurse Practitioner in the State of Michigan.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification as an Adult Primary Care or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- A foundation in liberal arts college education.
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Exposure and direct experience with ophthalmology and/or oculoplastic surgery during PA school training.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively in a team environment, with leadership potential.
- Respectful and compassionate attitude
- Outstanding computer skills, capable of mastery of the EHR system.
- Ability to maintain poise and composure
- Detail-oriented, careful and meticulous
- Motivated, self-driven and highly energetic
Appointment: 40 hours per week
The schedule will need to be flexible, and will likely involve irregular clinic hours, including evening clinics and occasional inpatient rounding.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail email@example.com. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.