This position reports to the Payroll manager and will work with the Michigan Medicine Payroll Team in the Shared Service Human Resources Department in supporting Michigan Medicine Departments.
The Michigan Medicine Health System Payroll Office is a fast paced work environment that requires ability to retain a large amount of detailed knowledge around time reporting/pay/policy/collective bargaining agreements/standard practice information. The extremely detailed work requires personal flexibility and ability to multi-task with great efficiency. The customer base is wide ranging and diverse and includes everyone you may come in contact with as job duties are performed. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Analyze complex systems and data elements to research and resolve biweekly and monthly employee time reporting, pay transaction and audit reports
- Function as a highly motivated and aware team player providing professional and exemplary customer service
- Responding to phone calls and emails timely and efficiently
- Problem solving and over the phone training regarding timekeeping and system functionality
- Calculate and process payroll corrections and accrual adjustments per department request
- Participate fully in process improvement efforts individually and as part of the team
- Assist on various projects as assigned
- Organize work efficiently in order to meet multiple, critical deadlines
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2-5 years' experience for the intermediate level - 0-2 for the associate level.
- Ability to perform basic functions in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Basic 10 key calculator skills and ability to type (key) at least 45 words per minute
- Experience with various computer applications
- Experience in working with complex systems that are data driven
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal, conflict resolution, and service excellence skills
- Possess self-awareness and ability to effectively communicate with others while maintaining the highest standards of customer service
- Demonstrated personal accountability, ability to meet work expectations, and meet multiple demanding deadlines
- Previous experience in a notably fast paced highly effective team and office environment
- Previous experience in a public setting
- Knowledge of MPathways HR and Time and Labor, Microsoft Word, Excel and People Soft applications
- Familiarity with the principles of Quality Improvement and Lean Processing
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine policies and procedures related to pay, timekeeping, and accruals as well as relevant collective bargaining agreements
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.