How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Scheduling & Registration
May schedule appointments in clinic as appropriate
Determine existence of previous registration and assure data is registered accurately
With each patient visit obtain and verify insurance and financial information using appropriate systems of verification
Process outside incoming and outgoing patient referrals
Prepare background schedules for providers
Billing & Collections
• Complete financial documents including type of visit, reason for service, charge for service and
• Collect cash and credit card payments form patients using established guidelines to determine
patient pay portion, insurance portion or professional courtesy as assigned
• Run, review and work various production reports as required to review productivity, correct
• Provide information to patient regarding billing procedures and insurance benefits along with
• Reconcile clinic daily collections
• Develop and maintain an audit trail of data entry by working daily reports
Process patient adjustments
Prepare insurance pre-determinations and prior-authorizations as required procedures
Customer Service (Complex Cases)
• Direct visitors and patients appropriately
• Triage calls within established guidelines for immediate attention for patient payments
directions, scheduling information
• Actively work with team members, staff, student providers and faculty on training issues and
appropriate procedures to be followed
• Display excellent customer services and attitude to patients, students, faculty and staff
Share policy changes, implement new skills, and share new techniques in software system with staff
Identify staff coverage needs for scheduled providers and inform CDC transition team
Provide new patients with information regarding the Community Dental Center
Assist in organizing and participating in Community Dental Center health fairs
- High School diploma or GED
- 2-3 years of experience
- Knowledge of basic medical or dental terminology
- Prior experience performing complex scheduling
- Familiarity with obtaining medical records
- Financial counseling experience for healthcare patients
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting
- Communicates effectively
- Demonstrated active listening, communication and information technology skills
- This position requires excellent customer service skills
- Energetic individual, motivated with a positive and professional attitude
- Must be a team player with ability to take direction and communicate with team and patients courteously and respectfully at all times
- Ability to multi-task and work in a high volume area is necessary
- Must have an excellent attendance record
- Must be very comfortable working with computers and have a general knowledge of office practices
- Requires flexibility in all aspects of work assignments
- Knowledge of MiChart or MiDent
- Knowledge of University of Michigan Policies and Procedures
- Knowledge of University of Michigan School of Dentistry Policies and Procedures
This position is located at the School of Dentistry at 406 N Ashley St.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
MDentistry: advancing health through education, service, research and discovery.
MDentistry Core Values: Compassion, Leadership, Excellence, Responsibility, Trust, Creativity, and Inclusion.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by: -Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences. -Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.