How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. Please include where you heard about this position.
The physician relations team is responsible for assisting referring physicians and consumers in navigating the University of Michigan Health System (UMHS) and enhancing their experience when communicating and referring to UMHS. We serve as a catalyst and support system for institution-wide marketing and program development targeted at enhancing referring physician/UMHS relationships. We are the front door to the Health System for consumers seeking care. Representatives must have the highest level of communication, customer service and problem-solving skills and exhibit professionalism in all interactions. Flexibility in an ever-changing work environment is a must.
Intermediate call center position in the Office of Physician Relations & Outreach, who is dedicated to supporting M-LINE, Provider Access Center and Consumer Services (Physician Referral, Mott Marketing, and Women's Services). The representative provides UMHS program, clinic, and faculty information to consumers, referring physicians, UMHS staff and faculty, and other healthcare professionals. This position solves routine and complex customer concerns. The representative also displays the highest level of customer service, attentiveness, and consideration possible in all cases.
The physician relations representative is responsible for reinforcing a positive image of the Health System for all customers. They use information systems and customer service skills to facilitate customer interactions such that the customer experiences the Health System as an accessible, coordinated and seamless entity.
- High school graduate.
- 2-5 years telephone-based customer service experience.
- Applies some advanced skills to the position within assigned functional area.
- May adapt procedures, processes and techniques to meet the more complex requirements of the position.
- Duties and tasks are frequently non-routine.
- Resolves most questions and problems, and refers only the complex issues to a higher level.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are necessary.
- Willingness to be a team member with the ability to be flexible and adapt to a changing work environment.
- Demonstrated satisfactory competence with basic medical terminology.
- Must be able to type 40-60 wpm, be highly customer service oriented and be able to maintain confidentiality with respect to caller and physician data.
- Associate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in the healthcare industry.
- Demonstrated ability of strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner while interacting with patients, Health System faculty and staff, and managed care organizations.
- Hands-on knowledge and experience with database management.
- Reasonable knowledge of Health System and department policies, procedures and regulations.
- Fluency in languages in addition to English a plus.
Day shift; Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday - 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidates education and experience.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.