As a comprehensive performing arts school set in one of the world’s finest public institutions of higher education, the School of Music, Theatre & Dance (SMTD) is deeply engaged in the creation, practice, scholarship, and pedagogy of music, theatre, and dance. We aim to provide leadership, nationally and internationally, in all three fields. We assert and celebrate the value of the arts to the mission of the University of Michigan. SMTD is committed to sharing values of diversity and inclusion in order to achieve and sustain excellence.
The Piano Technician will offer expertise and knowledge to assess a piano’s condition and employ proper techniques to achieve the most accurate pitch, tone and operation. This position will join a team of professional piano technicians and report to the Assistant Professor of Music and Academic Programs, Director of Piano Technology.
- Tuning, repair, and restoration of pianos including keyboards and actions
- Perform tuning, repair and restoration in many locations throughout the University including practice rooms, classrooms, teaching studios and performance venues
- Must provide stable tunings in these high-demand, high-use environments
- Technical duties are commensurate with skill
- High School Diploma with technical training from a recognized school of piano technology or college graduate with courses in piano technology
- 2 - 5 years of concert tuning experience highly disirable
- Must be an aural tuner; able to apply advanced temperament checks and techniques
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Experience working with diverse communities and cultures
- Must be able to work independently in a high demand, high use environment
- Experience working in an institutional setting, such as a school, conservatory or piano house
- General music background desirable
- Bachelor of Music highly desirable
- Experience with and knowledge of the methodologies and design of Steinway pianos is highly sought
Decision Making Process
This job may be taken off the UM job boards any time after the required seven (7) day period.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.