How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Clinical Information Analyst Lead – Inpatient Analytics gathers, validates, compiles, compares and reports on clinical data in order to understand trends and assist the health system make well-informed decisions. The Lead coordinates and supports a team of analysts who provide analytics, reporting and interpretation to physicians, clinicians, administrators, internal and external data suppliers, health care data collaboratives, and performance ranking organizations. The team creates, supports and maintains numerous analytic reports and registries and completes ad hoc reporting requests. The Lead offers insights intended to improve patient care through examination of data and industry and benchmark comparisons. This data is extracted from a number of clinically based, care systems and requires a strong understanding of clinical coding, population identification and accurate measure reporting based on specific parameters. Additionally, the Lead identifies opportunities to improve data accuracy, data reporting, and patient care in support of the outside agency and internal reporting programs that track key indicators of care, quality, costs and outcomes of care. In executing these responsibilities, the lead will prepare reports and conduct analyses, work with administrators, physicians, nurses and other clinicians, develop performance improvement strategies. The lead will need a comprehensive knowledge of NCQA, JCAHO, HEDIS, and other measurement strategies in addition to statistical methods for the completion of difficult assignments. Usually works with minimum supervision.
• Directly responsible to the Manager of the Analytics Team
• Provides instruction and direction to technical staff
• Maintains collaborative team-focused relationships with support, clinical and administrative staff within the UMHS and external agencies as appropriate
• Conduct the analysis and reporting of clinical and financial data for UMHS including:
o Evaluating performance, utilization, quality of care and patient safety measures against results from peer institutions
o Conducting analyses on cost performance and to facilitate assessment of physician practice patterns and medical and disease management
o Collaborating with clinicians and administrators to produce metrics to assess and improve performance
o Validation of data quality and reasonableness in reports and/or analyses of health services prior to external distribution.
o Designing report formats and graphical representations of data intended for audiences ranging from senior leaders and clinicians to the general public
o Delivering written, graphical, and/or verbal presentations of provider, product, program, and service specific data to internal staff, clinicians, UMHS leaders, relevant committees, and other constituencies.
• Possess and apply a comprehensive knowledge of health care, clinical information, disease processes, measurement and analysis to the completion of complex assignments.
• Produce quality measurement results by creating and applying complex algorithms to data which are extracted and integrated across multiple sources.
• Work with database and business systems analysts to plan and implement the data management and analysis of major new products and programs, including definition of data requirements, data capture and storage, and analyses required to measure and evaluate performance.
• Translate clinical and business needs into analytical solutions
• Communicate and collaborate with other departments to address problems with data quality.
• Coordinate data collection and data sharing agreements with internal and external data providers.
• Define and help create mechanisms to extract and reorganize data from existing systems for storage and reporting in departmental databases
• Develop and maintain supporting documentation of measurement methods and algorithms, data sources and reporting processes.
• Follows all appropriate data quality and security guidelines
• Develop detailed timelines and resource plans, define requirements, identify risks, create project documentation, report status to team and stakeholders, track and escalate issues.
• Coordinate with other team members and IT staff to determine timing of development efforts and key milestones
• Manage department projects and lead cross-functional teams as assigned.
• Lead analytic staff as they create and support on-going and ad-hoc reports and applications.
• Develop new and junior staff through coaching, mentoring and training on data analysis and related processes. Help in the review of performance and workload. Provide technical and administrative leadership as well as prioritization of their work.
• Participate in the development of policies and procedures related to the analysis, interpretation, and dissemination of health services data.
• Identify opportunities to standardize processes and facilitate transitions from ad-hoc systems to a production environment. Work with team members to identify and automate systems that deliver routine performance information.
• Maintain communication with technical groups inside and outside our department.
• Ensure adherence to quality standards and facilitate quality improvement efforts.
• Assign and prioritize new work to ensure deliverables meet deadline and quality commitments.
• Review reports and analyses, write findings. Test datasets.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Industrial Engineering).
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in health care, during which both professional and management capabilities have been clearly demonstrated.
- Extensive expertise in analysis and reporting of health data.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines in a fast paced and changing environment with multiple competing tasks and priorities.
- Strong customer service skills and commitment to excellent customer service.
- Extensive experience for collecting business requirements from customers and transforming the requirements into reports and analyses.
- Ability to independently establish objectives, project plans and milestone goals.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding verbal, written and visual presentation skills.
- Ability to anticipate requests and needs in advance and plan accordingly.
- Negotiating and consensus building abilities.
- Skills to work effectively across internal functional areas in ambiguous situations.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in the use of a variety of analytic and reporting tools including SAS, SQL, Microsoft Excel, Tableau, Crystal Reports and Business Objects.
- Well-developed skills in using relational database query tools
- Solid experience with Data Warehouse and BI systems
- Ability to gain proficiency in MiChart (EPIC and Clarity) querying through training.
An advanced degree (biostatistics, public health) preferred.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.