This is a clerical position that will work primarily in the check-in and check-out and coordinating multiple appointments for the Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant clinic and Infusion. Duties will include, providing exceptional customer service in an ambulatory setting by facilitating business processes; arriving patients, scheduling patient appointments, coordinating all new patient appointments and collecting payments as well as scheduling other patient ancillary appointments i.e. MRI, x-ray, CT etc., as necessary.
- Maintain adequate clerical coverage for check-in and check-out.
- Ensure thorough, timely efficient check-in and check out.
- Assist in training clerical staff and promoting best patient care practices for service excellence.
- Collaborate with the billing staff to ensure proper business and internal control processes in the check-out and on site collection processes.
- Exhibit a positive image when interacting with patients, staff and faculty.
- Ensure that patients with urgent needs are scheduled appropriately and clinic schedules adjusted for patient care and clinic flow purposes.
- Processes orders for diagnostic studies along with facilitating the scheduling of these studies.
- Perform telephone triage and distribute for action using Mi-Chart in-box according to specified clinic standards.
- Schedule new and return patient visits determining appropriate clinic provider, based on specified standards, using Mi-Chart.
- Inform patients of necessary preparations prior to visit in accordance with established guidelines.
- Scanning outside medical records into patient’s chart in a timely manner.
- Identify and help resolve operating problems related to patient flow, appointment scheduling, medical records etc.
- Assist in developing new procedures within the clinic setting.
- Identify and track reoccurring operational problems and participate in resolution
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adherence to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 2-3 years of experience in patient care setting.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting
- Ability to fully utilize MiChart to assess patient information, scheduling, daily cash reconciliation and closing.
- Demonstrate flexible and creative problem solving.
- Familiarity and understanding of medical terminology.
- Working knowledge of computers with the ability to type 50 wpm
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary clinical setting.
- Ability to accept direction from multiple sources and prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance record.
- Strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Three years’ experience in a customer services center
- Understanding of Microsoft Office applications
- Supervising experience
- Knowledge of UMHS Policies and procedures
M-F 8:30 - 5:00. Located in Mott C&W Hospital.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.