Apply Now Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.

How to Apply

In addition to applying online, please combine into one document a cover letter explaining your qualifications and teaching philosophy, a current curriculum vitae, two letters of recommendation and evidence of teaching experience (i.e., teaching evaluations).

Job Summary

The Department of Afroamerican and African Studies (DAAS) in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts at the University of Michigan invites applications for a 66.67% Lecturer I position to teach Introductory Swahili, and Intermediate Swahili beginning Sept. 1, 2017, and ending April 30, 2018. This position may be renewed dependent on performance and funding availability. 

Responsibilities*

Successful candidates will teach first-year, and second-year Swahili language courses as part of the 2017-2018 academic year program: one three-credit (33.33% effort) Elementary Swahili course, and one three-credit (33.33% effort) Intermediate Swahili course, for a total of 66.67% effort each Fall and Winter term.  This is not a tenure track position.

Successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to teach lower-division language courses; must exhibit a willingness to devote extra time and effort to students outside class via additional office hours for individualized instruction (conferences); must provide students with regular performance feedback, devote some time to teaching critical thinking and language workshops in the classroom and provide students with weekly in-class and out-of-class language assignments.

Applicants for this position are also expected to work collaboratively with, and under the supervision of, Prof. Nyambura Mpesha, Coordinator of the Swahili Language Program in DAAS, as well as interact with and provide feedback to the DAAS Curriculum Committee, as appropriate, regarding student academic progress or challenges throughout the term. Teaching qualifications, teaching experience and evidence of outstanding teaching will determine the selection of a candidate.

Required Qualifications*

Master’s degree and experience teaching undergraduates required.  Applicants must have native or near-native fluency in the Swahili language and prior teaching experience. 

Desired Qualifications*

A Ph.D. is preferred.  The successful candidate is likely to have substantial experience in interactive/intergroup dialogue and experiential teaching. Demonstrated excellence in undergraduate teaching is highly desired.

Additional Information

DAAS is an academic unit within the College of Literature, Science and the Arts that offers a variety of academic support services, including academic year course instruction, and academic advising. We work closely with a wide variety of academic departments, offices, and programs throughout the university.

Union Affiliation

This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Lecturers Employee Organization, AFL-CIO, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.

Background Screening

The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Contact Information

Questions about applying for this position can be e-mailed to kaskew@umich.edu.

Application Deadline

Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.  Deadline for applications is July 23, 2017

LEO job openings are posted for a minimum of ten calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.

The anticipated date by which an offer will be made is no later than August 15, 2017.

Offers for this appointment are contingent on successful completion of a background screening.

The appointment opportunities described in this posting are subject to final approval by the academic unit.

U-M EEO/AA Statement

The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.