This is an hourly position for current/incoming UM-Dearborn students (work-study preferred).
The University Ambassadors serve as building leaders by offering front line customer service as part of the University Unions & Events (UUE) team. By staffing the Information Desks at the University Center, Fairlane Center, and the Union at Dearborn, Ambassadors provide accurate information, assistance, and personal attention to detail. University Ambassadors help to ensure positive experiences and a sense of community throughout the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Ambassadors are also responsible for providing many other services throughout the buildings, some of which are listed below.
We are looking for student leaders who are interested in developing a student and guest focused community at UM-Dearborn. The University Unions & Events team presents a unique opportunity for students to serve in a student management capacity in the buildings and on campus, and we are seeking applications from students who can contribute successfully and positively to our community.
- Answering patron/customer questions via phone, email, and in person for students, parents, faculty, staff, and visitors at the University Center (UC) and Fairlane Center (FC) and Union at Dearborn Information Desks.
- Open and close Information Desks.
- Distribute accurate information about building services, campus policies, campus and community events and other pertinent information.
- Represent the UM-Dearborn and UUE in a professional and courteous manner, providing a positive experience for all visitors.
- Respond quickly and appropriately to guest requests, complaints, and inquiries.
- Produce UM ID cards for students, faculty, staff, and alumni utilizing computer, camera, and card printer.
- Maintain available literature; seek additional community and campus resources and information; investigate and find campus and community information and resources.
- Attend scheduled staff or other assigned meetings.
- Keep precise records of all transactions and situations.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Be well educated about all University and community activities and resources.
- Be knowledgeable about the location of departments and services offered on campus.
- Ensure guest, customer, staff, and building safety, security, and cleanliness.
- Act in accordance with, and enforce, all University and department policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and the UUE Building Managers.
- Current degree-seeking student enrolled at UM-Dearborn, at least part-time
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 and must maintain GPA during employment
- Lack of judicial or honors offenses
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, and interpersonal)
- Knowledge of University of Michigan-Dearborn and surrounding community
- Good organizational skills, initiative, attention to detail, and positive attitude
- Desire to assist others and provide excellent customer service as an individual and as part of a team
- Ability to demonstrate professional etiquette in person and on the phone
- Ability to make sound decisions
- Ability to lift/move 50 lbs. or more repeatedly
- Able to work flexible schedule. Shifts vary: days, nights, weekends.
- Must be available to work for at least one full semester; preference for candidates who can work at least two consecutive semesters.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.