How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In your cover letter, please indicate how you discovered this opportunity.
Market Title: Meetings/Special Events Planner (101640)
Working Title: Event and Administrative Coordinator
University and Development Events
Office of University Development
Reports to: Director
Office of University and Development Events
Supervises directly: N/A
Position summary: The Event and Administrative Coordinator will provide support in the planning of events (vendor selection/communication, invitation proofing, constituent communications, menu selection, theme development, event design, etc.) being managed by the UDE Director and will also be responsible for administrative support to the Director (appointment scheduling, report generation, expense reporting, etc). The Event and Administrative Coordinator will receive direction from the Director, University and Development Events.
Skills you have:
• You are highly-detail oriented, organized, and confident.
• You provide incredible service to all.
• Problem solving is no problem!
• You love moving quickly and learning as you go!
Three reasons you should apply:
• Your organizational skills are exceptional and you are not afraid to use them!
• You have a keen interest in learning more about event management and want to grow in the profession.
• You love the University of Michigan and its mission!
This job may not be for you if:
• The idea of juggling many tasks at once with high expectations and challenging deadlines intimidates you.
50% Event planning support:
Under the guidance of the Director, the Event and Administrative Coordinator will:
• Research event venues and assist in selection
• Prepare RFPs
• Manage catering (menu selection, communicate needs with vendor, provide counts)
• Establish design plan to support event goals/theme (linens, flowers, lighting, signage)
• Research event trends and utilize that knowledge as events allow
• Room and table diagramming
• Table seating assistance
• Contract (procurement/legal) management
• Manage audio-visual vendor(s)
• Proof/edit event materials
• Assist with budget creation and reconciliation (event budgets)
• Research and recommend mementos/give-aways/collateral (as necessary)
• Manage group reservation blocks for all Ann Arbor area hotels
20% Event support:
• Pack and ship supplies
• Track event registrations
• Prepare event reports (attendance, dietary restrictions, session registrations, no-shows, timed agenda, etc)
• Send event invitations, confirmations, other correspondence
• Print name tags, place cards, table tents and other event materials
20% Administrative support:
• Manage appointment calendar
• Prepare monthly expense report (Concur)
• Make travel arrangements
• Prepare agendae (staff meetings, retreats, etc.)
• Maintain office events blog – prepare content and post
• Staff events as needed
• Participate in UDE committees
• Special projects as assigned
• Overtime is required for this position and may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays. Overtime in the office averages 0-4 hours per week during September-April. Generally, less overtime is required during May-August. In addition to overtime in the office, additional overtime may be required for onsite event staffing. Overtime hours are not guaranteed and the total amount of overtime required from candidate will vary from week to week based on the schedule of events
• Travel will be required and may occur any time of the year, including holidays.
• A bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
• Minimum of 2+ years demonstrated office experience required.
• Collaborative and team approach to work.
• Willingness to learn with a natural curiosity and achievement focused work ethic is required
• Strong time management, project management, and problem-solving skills are required
• Effective communication skills (written and oral) and ability to prepare and format Excel (and other) reports
• Professional demeanor with the ability to hold sensitive information in confidence
• Value the importance of building relationships with our constituents (students, parents, donors, and alumni)
• Passion for providing exceptional customer service
• Desire to enhance and improve the University of Michigan’s position as an international leader in Development
• Volunteer experience in a non-profit setting
• Familiarity with the University of Michigan organization, policies, and procedures
• Development/Advancement experience
• Basic html knowledge
• Exposure to/use of DART program
• Familiarity with teamwork.com, formstack.com, Cvent, and/or zkipster.com
For additional information about this position and to review other current openings in Development, please visit our website at: www.giving.umich.edu/careers
Office of University Development Mission Statement:
The Office of University Development maximizes private support for the University of Michigan through high-quality collaboration with the development programs of schools, colleges and units. We also provide fundraising leadership through the stimulation and facilitation of healthy, productive and life-long relationships with our colleagues, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
Office of University and Development Events Mission Statement:
The Office of University and Development Events creates meaningful experiences for donors, alumni, faculty, staff, and students that celebrate their accomplishments and enhance their relationships with the University of Michigan.
Our goal is to craft welcoming, educational, stimulating and memorable environments for our guests. The emotional impact of their experiences inspires stronger unity, pride and support for the University.
• We give our undivided attention to every detail and provide service of the highest quality, offering our guests experiences that exceed their expectations while upholding the principles of fiscal responsibility.
• We work together as a dedicated team with common goals. We value, we support and
we respect our team, our colleagues and the mission of the University.
• All that we do upholds the integrity of the University.
Office of University and Development Events – Operating Principles:
Respect -We are professionals who respect each other’s work styles and individual priorities, both personally and professionally. Our individual contributions are embraced by each member of our team. Responsibility - We are responsible stewards of our resources; consciously holding ourselves fiscally and environmentally accountable to the mission of the University. Collaboration - We are committed to sharing knowledge and best practices through a variety of methods. We proactively include team members and stakeholders in the planning process. We recognize that relying on each other for assistance is not only vital to our own success, but that of our team. Communication - We communicate openly throughout our department, where we are constructive and approachable. We deliberately and mindfully share information among the team. Development and Growth - We energetically seek and support the development of ourselves and our team by collecting and offering honest feedback, challenging ourselves with new learning opportunities, and pursuing all that the University has to offer. Support - We work toward a common goal and encourage each other to ask for and provide support. We support each other’s daily effort to balance time and energy across goals between life and work; fostering a flexible environment that values each other’s’ perspectives and priorities. Customer Focus - We take great pride in our commitment to superior customer service and do everything within our abilities to provide each guest with an exceptional Michigan experience.
Although the Posting End Date may indicate otherwise, this job may be filled and closed anytime after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.