The Office of the Vice President for Student Life is charged with facilitating a positive Michigan experience for students and supporting their overall development. The Vice President’s office provides centralized services to support Student Life (e.g. communications, planning, administrative oversight).
The administrative assistant in the Office of the Vice President for Student Life will oversee the reception area of the office by answering and directing telephone inquiries and greeting guests in a professional manner. The administrative assistant will be responsible for clerical tasks in support of various staff members and students.
Provide receptionist support for the Office of the Vice President for Student Life (50%)
- Greet visitors to the office on a professional and friendly manner. Sort and distribute incoming mail. Handle inquiries and resolve problems for University administrators, faculty, staff, students, and community. Train student staff for back-up reception duties. Screen and direct incoming telephone calls for the OVPSL.
Compile periodic reports, charts, agendas, meeting minutes for administrative staff in the OVPSL (10%)
- Assist with travel arrangements and scheduling for Vice President. Maintain a variety of rosters and reference documents for the department. Compose and edit correspondence regarding matters of a sensitive or confidential nature.
OVPSL administrative contact for Association of Religious Counselors and event coordinator for annual fall ARC reception (5%)
Provide backup support for Executive Assistant and Administrative Assistant to the Vice President for Student Life (20%)
- Work closely with the Executive Assistant to manage workload and facilitate smooth transition of scheduling tasks.
Coordinate use of office needs and equipment; order, maintain, and monitor office supplies and equipment as needed (10%)
Monitor the maintenance and physical appearance of the office to assure a welcoming, professional, and friendly environment (5%)
- A high school diploma
- Two to five years of clerical experience is necessary.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Knowledge of the University environment & University Policies & Procedures.
- Basic experience using Wolverine Access- Financial & Student Records.
- Experience using graphic tools for flyers and brochures.
These are the criteria that the hiring team will be evaluating the candidate for:
- Staff member is expected to work independently and regularly exercise judgment in the setting of priorities and the application of department policies and procedures. General supervision is received from Assistant to the Vice President, Office of the VP for Student Life.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and multi-task.
- Strong English writing, grammar, proofreading skills.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.