How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
The University of Michigan is seeking an experienced Software Developer to play an active role in the Digital Innovation Greenhouse, a strategic team within the Office of Academic Innovation (AI). The Digital Innovation Greenhouse applies software development expertise to the creation of digital education tools and technologies that enable personalization at scale.
This new position is an exciting role, working in a startup environment with the developers, designers, and researchers in the Office of Academic Innovation to design and develop digital applications aimed at enhancing the residential education experience and facilitating engaged and personalized learning through collaboration with the world-class faculty of the University of Michigan.
The Office of Academic Innovation is transforming education on campus and around the world. The developer selected for this position will play a critical role in advancing and exploring the cutting-edge of software innovation at the University of Michigan. They will operate across a wide range of exciting new projects and technologies with a focus on leveraging dedicated development cycles to target the initialization, improvement and iteration needed to advance high-priority software innovations.
- Collaborate closely with software developers, instructional designers, faculty, researchers, and students, at the University of Michigan
- Lead or assist in the scoping of dedicated development phases
- Engage in software development in line with requirements and project timelines
- Employ a pragmatic approach by understanding the tradeoffs between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, develop software architecture and designs, and transfer knowledge.
- Mentor, manage, and collaborate with designers and developers (e.g. staff, interns)
- Interact with various stakeholders, including analytics and research teams, end users, and technology partners
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience working with common server-side/scripting languages (e.g.: Python, Ruby) and an associated web application development framework (e.g.: Flask, Django, Ruby on Rails)
- Experience working with relational database platforms (e.g.: MySQL, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle)
- Hold strong attention to detail and concern for information accuracy
- Strong analytic and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- At least 3 years of professional software development experience
- Experience working in a multi-platform, multi-OS environment in a cross-functional teams of developers
- Ability to take design specifications and create working, valid HTML5/CSS
- Experience developing native mobile applications (iOS & Android)
- Experience developing and deploying applications at scale
- Experience configuring and deploying applications using Amazon Web Services
- Experience working with emerging NoSQL platforms (e.g.: MongoDB, CouchDB, Redis)
- NOTE: This is a three-year, term-limited position.
- Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
- Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel.
- TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.