How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, include your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. If possible, please include a link to your electronic portfolio/dossier as part of your resume.
The University of Michigan is seeking a qualified Designer to play an active role in the software development team in the Digital Innovation Greenhouse (DIG), a strategic team in the Office of Academic Innovation (AI). The Digital Innovation Greenhouse applies design and development expertise in support of digital education tools and technologies to find pathways to enable personalization at scale across the U-M community and beyond.
This new position, focused on graphic design, user experience and design implementation, will operate within a startup environment. Its primary focus will be designing and implementing the visuals, interactions and experience for promising software applications and prototypes targeting online learning across a range of exciting new projects and technologies.
- Produce designs, prototypes and graphics for web and application products
- Collaborate closely with DIG software developers, instructional designers, faculty, and students to define and prioritize innovative functionalities optimized for various platforms
- Interact with various stakeholders as needed, including analytics and research teams, end users, and technology partners
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to conceptualize and iterate on application interfaces
- Analyze software design choices faced by AI project teams and make recommendations, based on in-depth reviews and analysis of available options
- Employ a pragmatic approach which appreciates the trade-off between a perfect solution and a working solution
- Work closely with the team to solve problems, transfer knowledge, and develop overall product design, where required
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Interaction Design, User Experience Design or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with brand development and design, (typography, color palette, logo design)
- Experience with Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch, and similar design tools
- Experience implementing all stages of software design (User Flow Diagrams, Wireframes, Mockups, CSS/HTML)
- Experience applying methodologies of user experience design and research to website, mobile, and product development
- Strong verbal and visual communication skills
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience working with and designing for dynamic content
- Experience with CSS Preprocessors (LESS, Sass, SCSS, etc.)
- Experience with responsive web design and device-agnostic design principles and practices
- Familiarity with templating languages or frameworks such as Haml, Jinja, Django, etc.
- Have participated in the successful development of early stage software projects from the idea phase, through scaling up for eventual launch, and into sustained support
- Familiarity with online learning platforms (edX, Coursera, Future Learn, etc.)
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see http://benefits.umich.edu/
Position receives 24 days of vacation a year, and 15 days of sick leave a year with provisions for extended benefits, as well as opportunities for professional development and travel.
TIAA-CREF and Fidelity Investments retirement options available.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.