How to Apply
Please make sure that the resume you submit with your application reflects your complete work history (post high school), including weekly hours worked in each positon. Unpaid time (volunteer work, unpaid internships, etc.) should not be listed in employment history and instead listed in it's own section on your resume.
The Emergency Department Patient Services Associate (EDPSA) is an essential member of the Emergency Department team, delivering clinical and operational support to achieve the highest level of patient, staff, and faculty satisfaction for Michigan Medicine Emergency Department (ED) including Adult Emergency Services, Children's Emergency Services, and the Emergency Critical Care Center.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- At Check in, in partnership with triage team, serve as initial point of contact for patients, families, and visitors to the ED, setting the tone of quality customer service for the duration of the guests’ experience.
- Create new visit record in MiChart-ASAP for each patient upon arrival to the ED, performing detailed search to ensure error free process.
- Coordinate and expedite patient transfers to inpatient services by utilization of MiChart and the paging system and working in collaboration with the Admission Bed Coordination Center (ABCC), nursing (inpatient and ED), and transport services.
- Facilitate the process for patient transfer from outside hospitals to the ED, manage calls from referring physicians, create a visit and transfer note, and connect the referring physician to the ED physician.
- Initiate and track critical team activations per protocol.
- Provide complex call center function by screening, routing, and/or responding to all inbound calls to the ED.
- Execute the retrieval and electronic input of all necessary patient records from external facilities to facilitate continuity of care for ED patients.
- Monitor nurse call system responding to patient requests for assistance and activate the patient care team as needed.
- Ensure effective team communication both internal and external by communication device distribution, attending pager assignments, and provider/nursing secondary alert system (SANS) assignments.
- Receive notification of critical lab results from pathology, identify appropriate patient in MiChart and notify the responsible nurse.
- As Unit Host, collaborate with Michigan Medicine Security Services and clinical team to manage visitor flow in and out of the ED.
- As Unit Host, provide point of contact and support for patients and visitors waiting for treatment room assignment. Ensure effective flow of information to patients and families/visitors by promptly addressing or relaying questions or concerns to the appropriate members of the care team.
- Utilize various online systems to order supplies and equipment for all ED treatment areas through collaboration and communication with various support services and the ED clinical team.
- Serve as resource to nursing regarding patient food and nutrition services. Order all patient and guest meal trays, and ensure accurate and timely delivery.
- Image pertinent medical documents into MiChart.
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum two years of experience in a fast paced customer service oriented environment with demonstrated excellence in customer service
- Demonstrated competence in computer software applications, and multi-line phones
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and appropriately prioritize responsibilities in a fast paced, stressful environment
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
- Ability to exhibit professional and positive attitude when interacting with patients, faculty, visitors and staff.
- Strong attention to detail
- Versatile team player capable of handling a variety of complex assignments
- Ability to take difection and communication with colleagues and patients courteously and respectfully at all times
- Skillfully change direction when faced with new information
- Maintain confidentiality in all matters
- Ability to manage stress effectively
In addition, the successful incumbent will demonstrate/possess the following:
- High enthusiasm and energetic personality
- Respect for people, and hard work
- Willingness to challenge, and better yourself
- Flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- High level of personal and professional integrity
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Health Care Administration or related field.
- Clerical experience in medical hospital/office setting
- Solid understanding of computer systems, and Microsoft Office applications
- One or more years of clerical experience in a health care setting (preferably in an ED setting)
- Experience working with electronic health records, preferably MiChart/Epic
- Experience in a leadership role, formal or informal
- Proficiency in medical terminology
*Salary range is based on a combination of experience and education. A higher salary may be achievable based on desired qualifications.
This is a 40 hour per week position on the NIGHT shift. The UMHS Emergency Department is a 24/7 unit including weekends and holidays. Employment requires set every other weekend rotation and a three holiday (annually) commitment. Regardless of hired shift, initially a four-week orientation will be completed during day shift hours.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.