How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, please include a cover letter and resume as a single document.
The Talent Gateway is an initiative unique to the UM-Dearborn that empowers students to drive their own development by providing opportunities for them to explore the connections among their academic, personal, and professional goals through gameful learning. This virtual community engages students with learning modules, discussion boards, resources and mentors.Talent Gateway members can earn points by reflecting on a variety of “challenges” that leverage what they are already doing in class, at home and at work, thus enhancing their professional skills. Students who earn enough points and complete required challenges will earn the (M)Talent distinction on their official transcript.
Talent Ambassadors are student guides who participate in the Talent Gateway by facilitating discussions, awarding points, and acting as mentors to Talent Gateway members. Ambassadors are upper level students who have knowledge, connections, and experiences from their time at UM-Dearborn, and are walking versions of our Resource Guide. A Talent Ambassador is instrumental in introducing students to the Talent Gateway program through classroom presentations, open houses, “pop up” events at the University Center, career fairs, and other in-person events. They also help students navigate the wealth of exceptional academic, experiential learning, and leadership opportunities available both on and off campus by serving as peer, helping their mentees identify and articulate their passions, interests, and aspirations and assist them in securing opportunities for personal and professional growth.
While many of the Talent Ambassador duties take place in a virtual space at hours customized to the individual, there are times when Ambassadors are required to attend events at specific times.
Benefits of Being a Talent Ambassador/Experiences Gained
- Develop and enhance leadership, coaching, facilitation and mentoring skills
- Plan and manage events/workshops/conferences for students
- Gain valuable work experience and enhancing your own career readiness, skills, and portfolio
- Learn and use new, interactive technology tools used in today’s workplace
- Develop public speaking skills
- Review online challenge submissions, provide feedback, and award points
- Communicate effectively about the Talent Gateway to students and the broader UM-Dearborn community as well as employers at open houses, career fairs and other events
- Lead and facilitate presentations about the Talent Gateway
- Contribute ideas for new challenges, review suggestions by others
- Monitor and add posts to the discussion boards
- Mentor participants in the Talent Gateway by supporting them as they identify their interests, reflect on their experiences, and explore new opportunities, and connect them with resources
- Serve as role models in the Talent Gateway by actively participating in the online community
- Effectively network and partner with student organizations and other campus units
- Represent the program and University in a respectful and professional manner
- Participate in biweekly staff meetings as well as individual meetings with Executive Director
- Familiar with Google Apps for Educations and willingness to learn more
- Professional demeanor and strong work ethic
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently with high efficiency and productivity, including setting and monitoring own work hours
- Aptitude to successfully interact with a diverse group of people
- Attend 1 day fall training/orientation (tentatively scheduled on 9/16/17)
Work Hours: 6-10 hours/week
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.