The Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Surgery and Urology are currently seeking a Physician Assistance to assist surgeons int he medical care and management of adult inpatients at St. Joseph Mercy-Chelsea Hospital, to include functioning as first assist in the operating room.
The primary work settings for this position are in the operating room where the individual will have responsibilities that include first/second assisting and on the inpatient floor where the individual will provide coverage of Michigan Medicine patients at St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea Hospital. The ideal candidate should have 2-3 years of OR/inpatient surgical experience with strong interpersonal talents and technical skills in the operating room.
Duties include: Assist the physicians by providing diagnosis and treatment of Michigan Medicine inpatients. Assist with outpatient clinic postoperative follow up visits as needed. Inpatient morning rounds, process daily orders, perform various therapeutic and minor surgical procedures, wound care, progress notes, process patient discharges, patient and family education, and discharge planning. Collect and assist in the interpretation of reports from diagnostic and laboratory tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies. Assist in referrals to various internal and external facilities. May further order and prescribe medications in accordance with statutes, rules and regulations of the State of Michigan. Complete and record detailed narrative case evaluations in a timely manner. The position typically analyzes, compares and evaluates various courses of action and has the authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance, free from immediate direction, within the scope of their responsibilities
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Consideration of ACLS and BLS certification current or ability to obtain
- Current DEA or ability to obtain is required.
- High level of critical thinking. Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- High level of motivation to learn and to participate in activities to improve patient care.
- Ability to function independently and as a team member.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- Experience in surgery or emergency room.urgent care
- Two (2) years of surgical experience (general, urological or gynecological) strongly preferred
Hours: 40hrs per week
Team coverage will be provided on the day and night shift, and weekends.
Shift premium wil be provided for the night and weekend shifts.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.