Medical Assistant to assist in the delivery of direct patient care in a busy outpatient specialty clinic setting for Rheumatology. Occasionally work in an assist role to nursing.
- Assist with prescription refills.
- Assist with various procedures (arthrocentesis, wound care, etc.).
- Assisting patients with mobility restrictions, e.g. getting out of wheelchair on to exam table.
- Basic clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, basic typing, computer and data entry skills.
- Basic medical assistant competencies (EKG, medical history, vital signs etc.).
- Clean and stock exam rooms.
- Injections and specimen collection and processing.
- Maintain supplies.
- Patient intake (e.g. documenting chief complaint, vital signs, height, weight).
- Provide patient with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures.
- Print laboratory reports for daily patient visits.
- Work directly with physicians and nurses regarding patient concerns/issues/questions.
- Work in electronic medical record system (MiChart) updating notes and patient medication lists.
- Assists with telephone triage.
- Obtain insurance authorizations.
- Chronic pain management tasks per protocol (e.g. MAPS report, generating drug screening lab requisition).
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential.
- Graduation from medical assistant program
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Ability to spell correctly and use proper grammar.
- Demonstrated prior excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Demonstrated effective time management skills/consistently uses available time effectively.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues).
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail.
- Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment.
- Moderate standling/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring patients.
- Ability to work well within a team setting.
- Demonstarted active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills.
- Ability to pass customer service quiz and typing skill assessment with 35-40 WPM and with an accuracy of 95% or greater.
- Previous experience in Ambulatory Care clinical setting.
- Previous experience in a Rheumatology clinic and/or practice.
- Previous experience with MiChart preferred.
- Clinical data entry experience.
- Knowledge of University and Department of Internal Medicine policies and procedures.
- Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others.
- Works well with minimal supervision.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
40 hours/week. Full-time. Days, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm, hours may vary. Location: Internal Medicine, Area A in Taubman Center.
- May be required to cross cover other areas.
- Overtime may be a requirement in this position.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.