How to Apply
Applicants must submit a resume with cover letter. The cover letter must include:
- availability for the semester for which they are applying with an emphasis on the specific course and section numbers that can be worked
- contact information of a chemistry department faculty member that has had them in lab
- chemistry courses that they have completed at UM-Flint
Lab assistants work weekly schedules with times based upon the course that they are assisting. Each position is filled on a per semester basis. The Lab Assistant may report to the instructor for that course as well as the Chemistry Department Head Lab Assistant, the Laboratory Supervisor, and the Department Secretary. Lab assistants are responsible for helping the instructor to ensure that the students are implementing the appropriate laboratory techniques, using appropriate safety measures, understand how they are to obtain their goals for that lab exercise (including helping with calculations), and are practicing good laboratory maintenance. They may also be required to perform other routine laboratory tasks such as making or testing reagents, setting up and testing instrumentation or equipment, assisting the instructor in reviewing lab notebooks/assignments. The lab assistants are expected to be friendly and approachable to all members of the classroom. Requirements include completion of the course that is being assisted or equivalent experience.
- Assist students with proper set-up and use of laboratory equipment
- Assist students with calculations pertaining to the labs performed
- Assist the lab instructor with his or her teaching methods
- Know locations and appropriate usage of all safety equipment
- Be an example and enforcer of laboratory safety
- Follow all departmental operational rules and enforce these rules with the students
- Ensure good laboratory housekeeping
- Must be a currently enrolled UM-Flint student
- Successful completion and understanding of the course that is being assisted, equivalent experience, or higher level chemistry labs
- A demonstrated ability to apply laboratory safety rules
- Recommendation by a chemistry laboratory instructor
Each applicant may apply for one or more shifts. The following shifts are available for the Winter 2017 semester. Additional openings may become available as student and teaching schedules are adjusted.
This job is posted for a minimum of three calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.