Within the Office for Student Engagement and Practice in the School of Public Health Dean's Office, the student affairs program specialist will work with the Public Health Practice Office and the Office of Undergraduate Education to assist in the development, implementation and coordination of curricular and co-curricular activities for undergraduate and graduate students.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Course/Program Development & Design:
• In collaboration with instructors, the student affairs program specialist supports the design of experiential courses, graduate and undergraduate, that involve working with public health practitioners and instructors.
• Participates in the development of course/program design, assessments and evaluations.
• Supports the development of training and instructional materials for students and instructors utilizing Canvas and/or other course management sites.
• Arranges for and participates in advising services for students on personal and academic matters.
• Assists in the development of new programming for undergraduate student engagement.
• In collaboration with instructors, the student affairs program specialist assists in the course/program implementation that includes co-teaching professional development sessions.
• Assists in student assessment and grading.
• Coordinates activities (didactic and applied learning) for undergraduate courses.
• Provides coordination and support to public health practice related activities for undergraduates including planning and execution of logistics for courses, programs and events.
• Maintains evaluation reports and statistics to support courses, programs, activities and events.
• Maintains a database of resources (financial, professional and material) to enhance course/program implementation.
• Serves as the principal liaison and contact for public health organizations working with courses that have experiential components.
• Coordinates the travel, placement and activities of students participating in experiential courses.
• Develops and disseminates course/program communication.
• Manages and maintains related social media.
• Participates in local recruitment activities.
• Acts as a spokesperson for the program within and outside the SPH.
• Supports the design and execution of a communications plan that fosters the engagement, recruitment and selection of diverse students.
Other duties as assigned
The Student Affairs Program Specialist must be able to establish a respectful environment for a diverse population of students and community partners and to embrace diversity in the university and in the larger community.
Bachelors Degree in public health or in the health and social sciences, a minimum of 2 years work experience in program design, implementation and management. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, and demonstrated capacity to communicate and interact effectively with diverse student populations and professionals within the public health system. The applicant must possess the skills, capacities and willingness to engage, advise and counsel undergraduate students individually, and within group settings. The position requires an ability to assess and organize information and determine effective courses of action. High-level skills in communication are required, as well as administrative and organizational skills. The position requires a demonstrated commitment to enhancing students’ educational experiences, and a general understanding of the disciplines in public health. Familiarity with computers and data systems and data management is essential. Some local travel is expected.
Master’s degree in Public Health or Social Work
Experience in a health care organization, public health organization, or in an academic service-learning program
Demonstrated ability to manage dynamic and complex program activities.
Skill in organizing and adapting to programmatic changes that are inherent to contractual relationships
Experience working with young-adults from diverse cultures and backgrounds
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff leader/member with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.