- Provide excellent customer service to patients and families in the Medical Procedures Unit; supporting all clerical positions in unit- appointment scheduling, telephone triage, patient arrival, prep desk coordination and billing.
- Greet and check-in each patient in for procedure
- Verify and update insurance, financial and demographic information with the patient prior to scheduling patient for appointment.
- Monitor waiting area activity and assure a clean, organized, and safe environment.
- Notify patients of appointment changes, rescheduled appointment and review all prep instructions.
- Complete pre-procedure phone calls to remind patients of necessary procedure preparations and answer any patient questions in accordance with established guidelines.
- Schedule new and return visits as indicated during discharge process and process patient paperwork for billing.
- Maintain and tabulate clinic data as needed.
- Prepare unit correspondence for mailing.
- Place orders for patient nutrition, office supplies, patient forms and other items.
- In accordance with specified guidelines and designated by MPU management, contribute to MiChart responsibilities.
- Participate in Lean in Daily Work.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others.
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent attendance record.
- High School diploma or equivalent and 0-2 years of experience.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Demonstrated active listening and information technology skills.
- Working knowledge of MiChart (Cadence, EpicCare)
- Familiarity with medical terminology.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care environment.
- 3 years experience in customer service setting
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.