How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
A position is open for a Research Laboratory Technician to assist in basic scientific research by utilizing standard molecular biology techniques, biochemical techniques and basic microbiology. The candidate will participate in studies on bacterial pathogenesis with an emphasis on protein secretion and should be able to work independently and as a member of a research team.
- Perform experiments and analyze experimental data; participate in the design of experiments and interpretation of data
- Keep detailed records of performed experiments and obtained data
- Maintain lab and equipment
- Purchase supplies, prepare reagents and keep inventory of materials
- Train and work with undergraduate lab assistants
- A bachelor's degree with 1-3 years of laboratory research experience is required.
- Previous experience with DNA purification, PCR, cloning, recombinant gene expression, protein purification, western blotting and other molecular biology and biochemical techniques is required.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Must have good attention to detail, organizational and documentation skills, and interest and ability to learn new techniques.
- Candidates with a background in microbiology and experience with common software including Excel and GraphPad Prism are greatly favored.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.