How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Auxiliary Marketing in Student Life serves the needs of Michigan Dining, Michigan Housing, University Unions, Recreational Sports and Conference & Event Services. The products, services and experiences we market on behalf of our clients are student focused, so our audience is young and ever-changing, the work is creative, the results are real and measurable, the standards are high and teamwork is key.
Our work is fast paced and involves a variety of media. You will work as part of a collaborative team of writers, designers, account managers; social media, user experience and digital marketing experts; and student interns in graphic design, video and digital media.
As a graphic designer, you may be assigned projects for any of our clients. You will be responsible for selecting the most appropriate design software and developing solutions that support the client’s brand, stay within budgetary guidelines for production and meet stated deadlines. Your work may include traditional print, html email, direct mail, point of sale, logos, site graphic, photo manipulation, displays and multimedia projects.
Responsibilities will include the following, plus other duties as assigned:
40% - Print Design (advertising, brochures, flyers, posters, etc.)
40% - Design for email, websites, presentations, social media, video and digital displays
10% - Site graphics, outdoor, point of sale, banners, mementos, apparel, and other duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience in graphic design and layout
- Demonstrated skills in conceptual design
- Exceptional typographic skills
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively, with minimal supervision
- Comfortable and capable of working on multiple projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines
- Proven expertise in all current graphic design software including Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop; HTML
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field, plus 1-2 years of experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- An online portfolio of your work should be submitted along with your resume.
- Experience with FinalCut Pro and a working knowledge of CSS are helpful but not required.
- Experience with graphic design for consumer products is helpful.
A cover letter is required and an online portfolio should be submitted with the resume/cover letter.
This is a fast-paced, team environment and while we work hard, little or no overtime is required.
Most of your time will be spent working on the computer, but walking several blocks to client locations may be required from time to time.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.