How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
PLEASE NOTE: Actual salary commensurate with education, experience and equity factors.
Under the administrative direction of the Director of Catering, this position coordinates and oversees the daily operations of several catering and event operations with events both on- and off-premise.
Catering Operations and Guest Experience (40%)
• Fully responsible for the supervision of catering operations including such duties as preparing menus, costing out beverage menus, pricing of alcoholic beverages, coordination of staff and equipment when necessary.
• Responsible for completing a weekly catering schedule ensuring adequate staff coverage to meet special event needs as well as monitoring labor costs.
• Communicating with all the stakeholders to proactively respond to guest needs including building managers, custodial staff and support staff.
• Ensures proper handling of food items to maintain sanitation standards.
• Works closely with chefs, and partners with chefs on product development, striving for unique and on-trend items.
Staff Supervision and Development (30%)
• Exercises administrative supervision over all employees regularly engaged in Catering.
• Responsible for personnel matters including hiring, training, performance reviews, promotions and disciplinary action up to and including termination.
• The position has responsibility to train all catering staff to ensure that excellent service is provided to our guests and food and beverage is presented in an appetizing manner.
• Ensures that the minimum level of labor is used to perform the required level of service without impacting service standards.
• Performs all aspect of employee supervision of catering staff, including but not limited to assistant managers, catering captains, student managers, catering servers and bartenders.
• Evaluates subordinate staff on an annual basis or as needed to ensure achievement of performance expectation.
• Ensures due diligence of alcohol services in accordance with our liquor license, university policies and state laws.
Beverage Cost, Labor Cost TAM Practices and Procurement (10%)
• Responsible in partnership with the chef de cuisine to manage unit food and beverage budgets.
• Manages food and beverage supply and equipment purchases and inventory.
• Maintain and audit weekly Imprest cash funds.
Sanitation and Safety (10%)
• Ensures compliance with all state and county health department and safety regulations and maintains high standards of sanitation including staff training and routine inspection.
• Demonstrates and enforces Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles to include the supervision and maintenance of the sanitary conditions of food storage, production, serving and other front/back of the house areas.
• Ensures that all employees are compliant with mandatory health and educational requirements.
• Conducts routine inspection of preparation, storage, and service areas ensuring proper sanitation is maintained
• Ensures the health and safety of dining guests and employees. Oversees signage including food item identifiers, menus, nutrition and allergens.
General Duties (10%)
• Serves as a member of the unit leadership team, collaborates on program enhancements and promotes University of Michigan Diversity and Sustainability.
• Responsible to improve and streamline departmental operations through the continuous assessment of policies and procedures, work processes and program effectiveness/value.
• Participates in administrative staff meetings in order to assist in long-range unit planning activities.
Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in food related field or restaurant management or an equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
Two or more years supervisory experience in food related field.
ServSafe and TAM certified within 60 days from date of hire as a condition of employment. If the certification is not acquired during the 60- day period, employment will be terminated. Certification must be maintained as a condition of employment.
PLEASE NOTE: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Considerable knowledge of the methods and equipment used in the preparation and distribution of food is necessary.
Outstanding ability to lead, train, develop, supervise and motivate a diverse team.
Strong organizational and logistical skills coupled with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse team.
Strong oral and written communication and customer service skills.
Knowledge of basic computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, email and the Internet; and ability to use Event Management System modules or a similar event management systems available to the industry.
Drive for Excellence
Strategic Planning and Leadership
Marketing, Communication and Networking
Hospitality Business and Industry Knowledge
Customer Satisfaction and Communication
Human Resource Management and Development
Working with Diverse Constituencies
- The Catering Manager is classified as a “critical employee” and will be expected to be on site during any emergency closure of the University.
Able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends throughout the year.
Must have a current Driver’s License issued within the United States, Canada or an International License that is translated into English and successfully complete the Motor Vehicle Record Check in accordance with the University of Michigan policy.
- Able to maintain a static position for extended periods of time while preparing food, move throughout the kitchen and dining hall as needed, and move and transport objects weighing 25 – 30 pounds.
- Assistant Catering Manager.
Student Supervisors, Student Managers, Student Servers and Bartenders.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.