How to Apply
Please provide cover letter, resume, and three writing samples all uploaded as one file.
Working as a member of the Communications and Marketing team in the Office of External Relations, the Writer joins a team responsible for promoting the mission, vision, reputation and brand of the university through media, publications, marketing efforts and electronic communications. S/he will serve as the writer, for a wide range of editorial projects for external and internal audiences, working to ensure all materials support the university’s key messages.
The desired candidate must be able to work as a member of the communications and marketing team with interactions and collaborations with various university departments. The candidate must maintain positive communications by proactively anticipating and negotiating solutions to potential challenges. Excellent communication skills, organizational skills, and commitment to high standards are essential to success. This position will report to the Director of Communications & Marketing with day-to-day supervision from the Communications Manager.
- Developing content of various lengths and formats for use across several UM-Dearborn communications channels including Legacy, the university magazine; the university news site and Reporter, the weekly news e-publication; social media channels; university marketing materials and the university website.
- Writing compelling content using UM-Dearborn brand voice and style that meets established goals and expectations.
- Generating, researching and identifying ideas for stories that highlight students, faculty, staff and alumni that are working on innovative projects, have an important insight to share, or are making an impact in the region.
- Developing content that supports the fundraising efforts of the Institutional Advancement team including feature and news stories focused on the impact of giving, annual giving communications around solicitations and campaigns and collateral material content.
- Interviewing faculty, students, staff and alumni as subject matter experts for written and video content.
- Interacting with the deans, faculty, students and alumni, most commonly in interviews that serve as a basis for news and feature stories, and inquiries to ensure published pieces are accurate, relevant and meaningful.
- Additional general writing and editing support for the department as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or communications is required.
- At least 5 years of writing for a variety of mediums in a professional setting, fundraising writing experience is desirable, but not required.
- Candidate must have excellent writing, editing, research and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to write clear and effective communications in a variety of formats for various audiences including but not limited to alumni, students, faculty, staff and community members.
- Must be professional, service oriented, creative, self-motivated, highly organized, team player.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have strong command of the English language, including strong grammar, spelling and editing skills and a complete understanding of writing and editing in AP Style.
- Ability to work independently with little direction and multi-task while being productive and timely.
- Assignments may include occasional evening and weekend events, as well as off campus interviews that may require travel.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.