How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Systems Administrator Senior will support a highly-interactive research team in the Center for Statistical Genetics (CSG) at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. The group is involved in cutting edge genetics research, studying genetic variation in humans, with a focus on understanding how genetic variation contributes to the risk of complex disorders such as diabetes, heart disease, late-onset blindness and psychiatric illness. The group participates in all aspects of the design and analysis of genetic studies, ranging from the development of interactive applications for enrolling and engaging study participants to the development, distribution, and maintenance of free software for the analysis of genetic data. This is an opportunity to work in a challenging and rewarding research area that constantly poses new technical and computational problems.
We are analyzing the largest genetic datasets in the world, totalling petabytes of data and often requiring the deployment of 10,000s of cores in each analysis. This position will focus on supporting our local and cloud infrastructure that enables data processing and computation at scale. The successful candidate must have experience with traditional high-performance computing clusters or commercial clouds.
- Provide end-to-end administration and support for priority functions and services in a Linux-based High Performance Computing / Big Data environment including storage, data transfer, batch queuing, deployment automation, networking, infrastructure and security.
- Develop and implement security and use policies for Linux systems and cloud environments that include >10 PB of data and >4,000 compute cores.
- Work to iteratively automate and refine processes for system administration and security monitoring.
- Work as a team player in collaboration with systems experts, scientists and developers, to design, deploy and support widely used applications and analysis environments.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in a related role displaying strong personal initiative, a drive for continuous improvement, demonstrated end-to-end responsibility for mission-critical services and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Extensive proficiency in all domains of Linux systems administration, particularly with respect to security, high-performance network and file systems, log and intrusion monitoring, and batch environments for job scheduling.
- Prior experience architecting and deploying production scale cloud applications and workflows on providers such as Google Compute Engine, Amazon Web Services, and Microsoft Azure.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to convey technical concepts effectively such that various audiences receiving the communication can understand.
- Experience in the architecture, implementation and management of large-scale, high-performance storage and computing systems.
- Proficient with revision control, scripting, configuration management and automated provisioning systems.
- Experience administering Web service and application components including HTTP servers, proxies and SQL/NoSQL database servers.
- Proficiency in the principles of computer programming and at least one high-level language such as C/C++, Perl, Python, Go or Ruby.
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Starting salary will vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. This position may be filled at the Senior level ($71,120 to $83,670) or the Intermediate level ($55,000 to $64,762). Starting salary and position are dependent on qualifications and experience. The requirements listed below reflect the Senior level but those with lesser experience are also encouraged to apply.
This position will require handling sensitive institutional data. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state, and local law, and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff (leader/member) with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.