How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
1. Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
2. Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position, and
3. Include your current or ending salary.
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan is seeking a Circuit Provisioning Specialist Intermediate in the Communications and Data Center area. The individual will provide line assignments for service requests on daily routine orders and projects. Duties include support for installs and trouble tickets, coordinating with engineers to build cable records and jack locations and providing info on existing circuits to various groups within the organization.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
- Provides line assignments for service requests on daily routine orders and projects with 100 locations or less. Provisioning of equipment line cards and ports, cable detail and locations are detailed in service order and cable management databases. Orders are sequenced for installation best practice and actively supported for clarification and field conditions. Support for orders and trouble tickets is provided by phone and email to meet the demands of service delivery groups, including field technicians and supervisors, service representatives, engineers and project managers. Follow procedures and guidelines to track status of facilities and escalate shortages.
- Coordinates with engineers to build accurate records of cables and jack locations from diagrams. Provides info of existing services for demolition or moves. This may involve cable count regroups or additions for new buildings or transfers.
- Proactively seeks information and utilizes analytical and creative problem solving skills along with standard processes and technologies resulting in efficient triage and resolution of reported problems and requests.
- Demonstrates quality service and accountability in the process of creating designs for cable re-groups/transfers and resolving service requests resulting in accurate, timely and efficient solutions and data as evidenced by: meeting or exceeding customer needs and established performance metrics.
- Collaborates with team members and departmental teams to understand service improvement requests and opportunities.
- Supports service enhancement projects that involve resolution and quality improvements by identifying and quantifying circuit provisioning requirements, delineating the gaps between these requirements and the capabilities of existing technology and resources and recommending improvements.
- Develops and edits technical support documentation ensuring accuracy and comprehensiveness.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of telecommunications policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services. Develops and follows best practices and procedures and shares knowledge with team members and mentors staff.
- Demonstrates skill development by actively participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills/knowledge to the job as evidenced by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding performance metrics.
While not limited to only those listed below, the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Communication - Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely and effectively both verbally and in writing, to differing audiences. Uses appropriate methods of communication (face-to-face, etc.) to achieve desired results.
- Quality Service - Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service. Demonstrated ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective, assesses urgency of requests and responds accordingly.
- High School degree/GED or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in a related role requiring timeliness, service, organization, prioritization and working independently to successfully assist technicians in their installation of telecommunications and telephony systems.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in providing circuit provisioning and cable management.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage appropriate resources and technical tools to perform day-to-day support tasks.
- Demonstrated proficiency with current computer technology and applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet and collaboration applications).
- Experience in computerized cable management database systems, specifically Pinnacle communications management system.
- Experience in digital central office switching systems, including software interface.
- Knowledge in the installation process of outside plant and inside plant cable.
May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
- Chronicle of Higher Education: For a 10th straight year, the University of Michigan has been recognized as a great place to work based upon the results of the Chronicle's 2017 "Great Colleges to Work For" survey of faculty and staff. U-M was specifically recognized for outstanding benefits and compensation.
- WorldatWork Alliance has named U-M a recipient of the 2017 Seal of Distinction which recognizes strategies and practices that help employees achieve success in work-life effectiveness.
- Money Magazine ranks The University of Michigan at No. 3 for "Best Colleges for Your Money." The 2017 rankings looked at 711 colleges and evaluated them on 27 factors within three broad categories: educational quality, affordability and alumni success.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.