Employee would be responsible for the development, maintenance and update of the analytical databases using Windows, R, and unix/linux the primary platform and analysis of multiple input data sources for changes in format or content as part of the database production process. They will participate in all phases of research projects.
- Development, maintenance and update of the analytical databases.
- Organize and analyze multiple input data sources.
- Analyze and explore new data sources to assess their appropriateness for project(s) needs. Design analytical files involving the integration of data from many sources.
- Plan and carry out modifications to the database.
- Work with the Programming/Analyst Supervisor and research analysts to determine data reporting requirements. Design new systems or modifications to existing systems to meet these needs, and assess alternative solutions.
- Prepare detailed system documentation, including data dictionary tools (in MS-Access, Excel or similar software), and users and researchers guides. Prepare and carry out detailed testing plans to verify the proper operation of the systems and to validate the data in the databases. Participate in all phases of the research process through publication.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, statistics, health policy, social science, or a related field.
- 3-5 years systems analysis/programming experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and guidance.
- Experience using R for data management and statistical analysis.
- Proven experience developing and managing relational databases of significant size, including building table relationships and establishing documentation to ensure regular database updates.
- Experience utilizing programming documentation, testing, validation and reporting experience in a production-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work effectively within a team of researchers, analysts and programmers.
- Experience building and managing databases.
- Experience analyzing data in genetics and genomics research.
- Statistical training or experience.
- Experience in health-system information technology.
- Experience in technical and research writing including research/grant proposals.
This is a 9-month term limited position based on funding and performance with the potential for renewal at the end of the term. Term limited positions are not eligible for RIF rights.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.