How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin when received. Submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and three recent (no more than two years old) letters of recommendation to:
Nancy Vanedewiele Milligan, PhD, OTRL, FAOTA
Chair, Search Committee
Ph: 810-762-6503 x5
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Founding Director of Physician Assistant
The University of Michigan-Flint (UM-Flint) is seeking applicants for the Founding Director of Physician Assistant to establish a Master of Science, Physician Assistant (MSPA) degree program and to direct the proposed Physician Assistant Department within the School of Health Professions and Studies. The proposed program will have a cohort size of 40-50 students.
The Physician Assistant Director will join a dynamic team of health profession educational leaders in public health, physical therapy, occupational therapy, nurse anesthesia, radiation therapy, respiratory therapy, and clinical laboratory sciences with many opportunities for interprofessional education including international service learning courses. Extensive collaborative relationships with the University of Michigan Medical School, Michigan Medicine and community partners locally and throughout the state currently exist upon which to build MSPA program partnerships.
The Physician Assistant Department will join the departments of Physical Therapy and Public Health and Health Sciences and the proposed Department of Occupational Therapy within the School of Health Professions and Studies (SHPS). The Physician Assistant Director reports to the Dean and is a member of the SHPS Management Team. Please visit the UM-Flint SHPS website to view information about the school http://www.umflint.edu/shps/.
The UM-Flint campus sits on a beautiful 75-acre riverfront situated in downtown Flint, Genesee County, Michigan. It has an enrollment of over 8,500 graduate and undergraduate students, is one of three campuses of the University of Michigan. the University of Michigan - Flint campus is the fastest growing public institution of higher learning in the State of Michigan. It is one of four campuses in Michigan listed as "best value" as cited in the Princeton Review.
Position Responsiibilities will include:
Instructional Appointment .2 (May be filled att he Associate Professor or Clinical Associate Professor title based on the qualifications of the candidate.)
- Teaching within the MSPA curriculum
- Scholarship appropriate for academic appointment
- Service on department, school, university, professional and community committees (shared responsibility with administration portion of appointment)
PA Director .8
- Provision of effective leadership within Department, School, University to implement the respective missions and strategic plans
- Provision of administrative and logistical support of Department function
- Lead effort to establish ARC-PA accreditation for the MSPA program
- Orientation of new faculty
- Timely and critical evaluation of faculty and staff
- Assurance of mentorship of junior faculty for teaching, scholarship and service on a regular basis
- Development and management of Department budget
- Effective work with the Alumni and the Development Office to build alumni relations and a donor base
- Effective communication to advocate for the Department with the institution and communities of interest
- Active and constructive participation in the SHPS Management Team
- Active participation in professional associations related to department
Successful candidates will have the folowing qualifications and skills:
- Earned doctoral degree in Physician Assistant or related field
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the field of physician assistant, including 3 years in a full-time academic appointment teaching at the graduate level in physician assistant
- Licensed or eligible for licensure as an physician assistant in Michigan
- Eligibility for senior faculty status (associate or full professor - tenure track or clinical track)
- Commitment to shared governance
- Demonstrated record of effective leadership and management in key areas of responsibility including accreditation, budgeting, strategic planning, assessment, collaboration, and curriculum development
- Demonstrated knowledge of contemporary clinical practice in physician assistant
- Record of published scholarship
- Active involvement and commitment to promotion a work and learning environment that is diverse / multi-cultural
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job postings are posted for a minimum of 7 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.