How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position and
- Include your current or ending salary
Starting salary may vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for a Telecommunications Software Engineer. This person will join the ITS Unified Communications team. This position is responsible for the network and voice communications systems and tools and will collaborate with ITS Infrastructure technical teams on production support, tool development and project efforts.
Reporting to the Communications Systems Operations Manager, the incumbent will develop, configure, test, deploy and maintain performance monitoring and measuring network tools for Linux environment. The role will provide configuration automation for real-time systems.
This position requires someone who can work under minimal supervision utilizing strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Someone who will proactively anticipate and resolve problems, has experience in a role providing excellent customer service, demonstrates the ability to follow documented procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
To learn more about ITS, visit our website: http://www.its.umich.edu/
- Responsibilities include the tactical planning, operational management and service delivery for Linux based systems. Develop and implement advanced system designs including server sizing, specifications and configuration. Configure, deploy, test and maintain various network tools to include: Spectrum, Network Authentication (AAA), Intermapper, CA Spectrum and CA Network Flow Analysis. Develop documentation and deliverable plans for enterprise implementation and support.
- Mentor others on products and technologies. Duties also include overseeing the implementation, operation, maintenance, upgrades, backup/recovery, security, virus protection, spam protection, performance monitoring, supporting and problem-solving in a large, 24-7-365 computing environment.
- Provide design, development, integration and implementation of IP enabled real time unified communication systems, including, but not limited to, leveraging open source software and cloud based services. Participate in the development of diagnostic and test software for communications systems.
- Develop, test, and validate software solutions for unified communications systems to support the collaborative real time communications needs of student, faculty and staff. Delineate gaps between requirements and the capabilities of existing technology and resources and recommend proactive improvements and designs that are compliant with technical requirements.
- Actively coordinate with team members and service support groups to effectively resolve incidents, fixes and minor enhancements. Assignments include, but are not limited to: coordination in the analysis, acquisition and installation of software; analyzing data and developing recommendations for efficiency, upgrades and replacement of communications systems; troubleshooting; upgrades; integration; and maintenance of systems. Communicate to ITS and customers on adherence to design and service architecture guidelines.
While not limited to the following, in this role, the successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate the following organizational competencies:
- Building Relationships / Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrated ability to use formal/informal networks to accomplish tasks and objectives, developing and maintaining smooth, cooperative working relationships. Demonstrated ability to address and manage conflict and offer constructive criticism and feedback in a positive manner.
- Creative Problem Solving / Strategic Thinking: Demonstrated ability to provide necessary attention to solve different level problems, often multi-tasking to solve moderate level problems. Defines problems, analyzes causes, identifies possible solutions, selects the best solution and develops action plans. Generates new ideas and goes beyond the status quo. Demonstrated ability to use creative thinking to improve processes and solve complex problems. Plans and acts strategically, analyzing data and utilizing trend information.
- Communication: Demonstrated ability to communicate about complex topics effectively to groups, using visual aids as needed, varying the style to fit the audience.
- Flexibility / Adaptability to Change: Understanding and accepting the need for change, cooperating in implementation and constructively voicing concerns and proposing alternatives.
- Quality Service: Demonstrated stewardship in understanding and helping others to understand the impact of recommendations to both short-term and long-term needs of the organization. Develops strategic partnerships with customers based on in-depth understanding of the customers’ objectives/business.
- Bachelor's degree in computer, computer engineering or a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Basic understanding of networking concepts and protocols like TCP/IP, DNS/DHCP, HTTPS and related technologies.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a Linux operations environment with some experience in design, troubleshooting, installation and configuration of systems in large environments.
- Experience with installation and configuration of third-party tools for Linux systems, including AntiVirus and AntiSpam software, backup and systems management software.
- Experience with the following: Shell Script, Python, PHP, HTML, RESTful API, docker container and automation tools like ansible, puppet, salt, etc.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a related role requiring confidentiality, timeliness, customer service, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting and working independently to successfully develop and troubleshoot applications.
- Demonstrated experience determining project objectives and requirements, anticipating and solving problems and developing standards and guidelines for systems.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate analytical results both verbally and in written form to technical and non-technical staff and customers.
- Demonstrated analysis and technical problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with various operating systems, applications and tools such as Linux, MacOS, Mysql.
- Experience with Network Monitoring System.
- Working knowledge of the IP PBX.
- Familiarity with Containerization.
- Familiarity with SNMP.
- Experience working with data correlation, analysis and integration with upstream systems.
May require working during non-business hours, on weekends and on-call availability.
May require travel to various locations on and off campus.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion: The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Comprehensive Benefits: The University of Michigan is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more by viewing our benefits one-pager: https://hr.umich.edu/sites/default/files/benefits-highlights.pdf
For a 10th straight year, the University of Michigan has been recognized as a great place to work based upon the results of the Chronicle of Higher Education's 2017 "Great Colleges to Work For" survey of faculty and staff. U-M was specifically recognized for outstanding benefits and compensation. The WorldatWork Alliance has named U-M a recipient of the 2017 Seal of Distinction which recognizes strategies and practices that help employees achieve success in work-life effectiveness. Money Magazine ranks The University of Michigan at No. 3 for "Best Colleges for Your Money" which rates 711 colleges and evaluates them on 27 factors within three broad categories: educational quality, affordability and alumni success.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.