Under limited supervision, the tutors will use intermediate skills obtained through experience and training to tutor in core academic subjects (math primarily) to groups or individuals (ages 16-20) requiring additional instruction to meet individual needs. Tutor will work with youth at Osborn High School, Lappin Education Center, or Covenant House in Detroit. The tutor will train with the Office of Metropolitan Impact (OMI) and report to the Assistant Director, while receiving tutoring assignments from OMI's Youth Program Coordinator. Tutors will meet regularly with students who require academic improvement in order to pursue admission to college.
- Assist with homework. Explain concepts in a manner that students understand.
- Observe and provide feedback on students work and behavior.
- Motivate and support students through positive feedback and reinforcement.
- Mentor students through daily interaction.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Contribute to the college-going culture through informal mentoring with students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in Mathematics is required
- Academic subjects English and Mathematics as required based on assigned program.
- Appropriate and effective learning techniques and concepts for learners of different age levels.
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications, including Microsoft Office.
- Interact effectively and appropriately with students of all ages.
- Understand topics such as Trauma Informed Care and Restorative practices as it relates to working with youth from low-income, urban neighborhoods.
- Incite enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Provide a high level of customer service.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
- No Minimum Degree Required:
- Licenses/Certifications Required at Date of Hire:
Hours: 10-12 hours per week
Hours of operation: TBD (may be assigned to tutor during school or during after-school programing)
Travel required: Students must be able to travel to the schools or organizations where programs are administered (Osborn High School, Lappin Education Center, Covenant House, Neighborhood Services Organization)
Working Environment: Classroom environment
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.