How to Apply
An attached resume is required for consideration for this position. Applications received without an attached resume will not be considered.
Michigan Medicine is looking for team-oriented individuals with a passion for making a difference in the community we serve by joining our Environmental Services team. Our front line Custodial Team members provide a benefit to our customers by maintaining an atmosphere that supports the ultimate patient care experience. We are offering an incredible opportunity for career growth in the Healthcare Industry for individuals demonstrating excellent customer service skills, work performance, and attendance.
The primary function of an Environmental Services team member is to properly sanitize and disinfect. These functions are critical to ensure successful prevention of infectious disease. Successful candidates will safely come in contact with bodily fluids and hazardous waste utilizing personal protection equipment.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Operate vacuum cleaning equipment.
- Clean and polish furniture, cases, fixtures and furnishings.
- Clean mirrors, inside of exterior glass and both sides of interior glass.
- Clean toilet rooms and fixtures.
- Stock restroom supplies.
- Dust venetian blinds.
- Spot wash walls
- Clean patient bedside equipment.
- Make beds and change linen.
- Change or replace shower or cubical curtains.
- Collect and transport waste materials and soiled linen to central location.
- Report items in need of repair.
- Sweep and/or dust mop floors and stairways.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies in accordance with specific instructions.
- Move and arrange furniture and furnishings.
- Clean assigned area or work and equipment.
- Wet mop floors, rooms and stairways
- Hand mop areas inaccessible to mechanical floor cleaning equipment.
- Operate walk behind equipment used for routine floor cleaning.
- Operate touch free spray/vacuum cleaning equipment.
- Must have a High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English and be able to follow instructions.
- Must have a positive attitude with good customer relation skills.
- Must be able to perform a wide range of physical activities including pushing, pulling, lifting, bending, kneeling, reaching, etc.
- Must not have any type of lifting restrictions.
- Must be able to work around sick and disabled patients (children and adults) within a hospital setting.
- Must be a team player, able to prioritize work and be able to handle stress on a daily basis.
- Must be able to perform all tasks listed on the Unit Custodian Classification Description.
This position may require working day shift, afternoon shift, midnight shift, weekends, and holidays.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.