How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) temporary job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 146934 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 146935
A total of one (1), Advanced Practice Professionals (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this temporary job opening.
The Congenital Heart Center at the University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital is currently seeking a temporary advanced practice professional (APP) to care for patients within the congenital heart center. This position will be based in the Pediatric Cardio-Thoracic ICU (PCTU).
- Participates in coordinating care of patients with congenital heart disease and pediatric acquired heart disease primarily in the inpatient setting. Specifically, role requires clinician to perform advanced diagnostic and therapeutic tasks associated with pediatric patients undergoing congenital cardiac surgery, as well as those patients requiring complex medical care for their heart disease.
- Performs detailed histories and physicals.
- Participate in developing a comprehensive plan of care.
- Order and interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies.
- Prescribe medications.
- Perform various diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor surgical procedures.
- Confer with attending physicians and communicate with other care providers/consultants to coordinate clinical care.
- Maintain accurate documentation regarding patient status, evaluations, and treatment.
- Streamline the patient transfer process between levels of care, including writing transfer and discharge orders and communicating specific patient needs to team members.
- Maintain knowledge of medical principles, practices, and standards in accordance with UMHS policies and procedures, Medical Staff Bylaws and State and Federal laws/regulations.
- Demonstrate heavy emphasis on patient and family centered care.
- Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
NOTE: This position is also posted in the Nurses job family under number 146934 for NPs to apply.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner with experience.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Minimum of 1 year of NP/PA experience within the past 2 years
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification (ACLS) and/or Pediatric Advance Life Support Certification (PALS) - can be obtained post hire as part of credentialing.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a collaborative team is required
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Experience with a multidisciplinary team approach to patient care
- Excellent computing skills
- Demonstrated ability to positively contribute to a group/ICU setting.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care.
- Demonstrated clinical leadership and experience with coordinating and managing complex and multifaceted projects.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate clinical care ideas across multiple patient care services and to communicate assertively as a patient advocate.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated high level of motivation to learn and to participate in activities to improve patient care.
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
* Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
3 or more years of experience as an NP or PA in pediatric intensive care, pediatric cardiac surgery, pediatric cardiology, cardiology, cardiac surgery or other surgical specialty.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.