How to Apply
Applications will be accepted only through the University of Michigan jobs website through 9/25/2017. Visit www.umjobs.org and search for job ID 146977. Applications must include both cover letter and resume to be considered.
UMS, an independent multi¬disciplinary performing arts presenter with a long and deep affiliation with the University of Michigan, is located in the center of the Ann Arbor campus and offers 70+ performances each season in up to seven University and community venues. Since its founding in 1879, UMS has presented top-ranking international artists including orchestras, chamber music, solo recitals, jazz, world music, ballet, modern and culturally specific dance, opera, theater, choral groups, and special attractions.
UMS also develops and executes an extensive education program involving up to 150 events each season, commissions and presents new work, and hosts many artist residencies. UMS employs a full-time staff of 32, has a 34-member Board of Directors, and engages approximately 700 volunteers who serve various capacities across the organization, including ushering, serving as UMS Ambassadors, and singing in the UMS Choral Union.
UMS holds diversity, equity and inclusion as key organizational values. We believe that the future artistic and organizational health of both UMS and the larger performing arts presentation field depends upon our ability to more accurately reflect the multi-faceted diversity of our communities locally, nationally, and internationally. Building upon many past and present efforts to broaden diversity among our staff, volunteers, artists, and audience members, we commit ourselves anew to increasing diversity in our offices, on our stages, and in our audiences.
The mission of UMS is to inspire individuals and enrich communities by connecting audiences and artists in uncommon and engaging experiences. For more on UMS, visit ums.org.
To assist in coordination of operations for a multi-faceted patron services office. Hands-on position includes selling subscription and single tickets for over 150 live events in up to 9 different venues for several different arts organizations annually. Manage front-of-house and occasional ticket office activities required in the production of UMS events plus other venue-related activities in various performance venues. The number of performances worked per week varies based on the schedule but is generally one to three performances per week. This 20-25 hour/week temporary appointment through the standard academic year with the option of renewing through the summer and following season.
- Provide excellent customer service by phone and in-person.
- Process ticket orders by phone and in person, including cash, check and credit card handling.
- Serve as the primary UMS front-of-house representative at designated performances, demonstrating excellent customer service regarding critical issues such as ticketing problems, late seating, crowd control, and general public relations. Evenings and weekends required.
- Manage the synthesis of UMS program book components as well as their distribution at performances.
- Enforce relevant Front-of-House policies as determined by UMS and venue management (most UMS events are held in University of Michigan venues).
- Communicate with backstage staff and venue management staff to ensure smooth lobby operations in all venues.
- Ensure performance venues are appropriately staffed with UMS volunteer ushers.
- Manage a Front-of-House event report for performances, outlining extraordinary occurrences, running times, merchandise settlement, facility maintenance, and other event-related.
- Coordinate placement and set-up of signage at UMS events to ensure uniformity and maximum brand exposure, facilitating the creation and/or delivery of such signs as needed.
- Serve as the secondary contact for a 400-person volunteer usher corps, assist with orientation sessions and facilitating communication between UMS production staff, venue staff, and ushers.
- When serving as the primary front-of-house representative at UMS performances, supervise the volunteer usher corps on duty as well as compensated head ushers and student workers. The number of direct reports per event can vary from 10 people to over 100 people.
- Assist in maintaining the current online usher corps computer database.
- Perform closing duties such as reconciling receipts of cash, checks and credit cards both in the office and online as well as preparing End of Day reports for Finance and Administration.
- Assist in the supervision of student staff. Work with the UMS Ticket Office full time staff to train and coach college student staff.
- Attend weekly UMS Production meetings when required.
- Professional experience strongly desired in customer service, house or event management, ticket office or public relations.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Ability to remain organized and communicate well under pressure.
- A high level of dependability and professional work ethic.
- Able and excited about working independently and as part of a team.
- Strong writing skills to prepare correspondence, reports, and schedules.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Comfortable using and learning new technology.
- Knowledge of and interest in artists presented.
- Routinely moves equipment and boxes weighing up to 25 pounds for various events.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.