Responsible for the inpatient and outpatient clinical operations of the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine. This includes the following areas: Echo, EKG, Disease Management, Anti-Coagulation, Domino’s Farms - Preventive Cardiology and the inpatient areas including the Cardiac Procedures Unit, and Advanced Practice Teams including Heart Failure Inpatient, Chest Pain Center and Consult Team. This position also includes participation and leadership in Quality/Lean operational initiatives, interdisciplinary program developments that result from the Division’s strategic planning initiatives, process improvement unit of service targets, and working closely with the Division and Department administration in forecasting activity, operational and capital budgets, responding to variations within the financial statements throughout the fiscal year, and managing an extensive capital program, including oversight of capital projects and activation, as well as supply chain management and procurement.
The individual in this role will partner with Division leadership in understanding and tracking market trends, activity and financial analyses, understanding outreach strategies, and assist with facilitating clinical physician placement assuring appropriate resources and communication strategies are executed for successful physician productivity.
- Leads the clinical programs of the Division including supervision of managers and supervisors regarding operational and human resource issues, processes and continuous improvement efforts.
- Makes decisions in collaboration with Divisional leaders regarding projects, programs and initiatives that support the objectives established by the Division Administrator and Division Chief.
- Participates in and/or leads efforts in enhancing the culture of the Division including enhancing internal work flow and communication; service excellence among the clinical areas, creating the ideal work environment for faculty and staff and the ideal patient care experience for patients and their families.
- Works with clinical managers and supervisors with regards to human resources management and complies with respective employment contracts to assure we are enhancing learning opportunities for staff, coaching and mentoring and meeting the intent of labor practice.
- Manage respective financial accounts to meet forecasting assumptions, provide variance reporting, and provide timely responses in preparing forecasts (operational, activity and capital). Works in partnership with respective areas to develop appropriate unit of service targets and then works to achieve them.
- Provides operational support for the strategic initiatives of the Division including understanding target markets, clinical strategies, and how to assess and adjust operations to meet the strategic objectives as defined by the Division’s leaders.
- Prepare A3’s in problem resolution, bringing appropriate representation together in problem solving and working through Lean principles to reach improved communication and understanding of issues to bring to resolution.
- Provide written and oral proposals to leadership that clearly identify issues or requests for resources in a manner that is data driven, logical, and meets the needs of the respective areas, and is cost effective, benchmarked appropriately to reach a logical, well thought-out conclusion.
- Responsible for the clinical operation team’s human resources management (hiring, promotion, salary changes, performance coaching, disciplinary actions, training and development, ensuring consistent application of organizational policies, etc.)
- Responsible for the impact on operational effectiveness, attainment of department/unit objectives, service to customers and attainment of clinical goals.
- Working in partnership with Division leadership, duties include interviewing, selecting and educating of the clinical management staff; setting and adjusting their rates of pay and hours of work; planning and directing their work; appraising their productivity and efficiency for the purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in their status; handling their complaints and grievances and disciplining them as necessary. Works closely with Nursing leadership pertaining to nursing roles within the areas defined within the scope of this position.
- Develop new and revise existing programmatic policies/procedures and standards of Clinical Operations.
- Align Staff and Department goals and objectives with University of Michigan Health systems goals and objectives.
- Attend and participate in the Cardiovascular Medicine Clinical Operations Leadership meetings.
- Facilitate communication with managers, peers, health care providers, and physicians with regard to operational, interdisciplinary, clinical, team development, performance review and others to be determined and as appropriate.
- Anticipate, investigate and respond to patient/family issues and concerns.
- Participate in identification, selection and evaluation of products and equipment for Cardiovascular Medicine clinical operations patient care and treatment.
- Attend and participate in Cardiovascular Medicine safety initiatives.
- Models UMHS and Frankel Cardiovascular Center organizational values including Patient and Family Centered Care.
- Provides supervision for administrative personnel working in the areas defined above including interviewing, hiring, termination as appropriate, and evaluating performance by conducting annual performance evaluations. Counsel and discipline as needed to enable achievement of departmental and institutional objectives, particularly as related to high quality patient care. Provide constructive and timely feedback to managers in the clinical and procedural areas regarding their work performance. Assist in goal setting for performance and professional development.
- Coaches, supports, directs, and delegates to promote performance of all staff.
- Interpret and implement University and hospital personnel policies, programs, procedures, and the standards of regulatory agencies and bargaining unit contract(s). Ensure their uniform and correct application.
- Promote an environment to improve work processes, enhance customer and employee satisfaction, and reduce waste and cost. Participate and mentor department huddles and lean initiatives.
- Attains and maintains an inclusive work environment that is conducive to meeting the organization's expectation for exemplary customer service.
- Implements and evaluates an effective plan for work area changes and transition management.
- Review safety reports and reported incidents, investigating root cause and implementing corrective action when necessary.
- Reviews and communicates institutional/Cardiovascular Medicine CPU data (patient/customer satisfaction and financial) regularly.
- Attend and participate in activities to promote own continued learning and professional growth.
- Demonstrated experience of at least 5 years in managing large clinical operations including one or more of the following areas: ambulatory care operations, inpatient support team operations, non-invasive testing areas, and procedural areas.
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline and considerable professional operational experience with prior management, supervisory or team leader experience.
- Excellent organizational skills in setting priorities and balancing multiple priorities and demonstrated follow through bringing tasks to closure with acceptable outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on customer service especially in working with departments and services across multiple areas.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, coordinating and executing clinical operational work plans, process improvement, new program development, and/or clinical program proposals.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and maximum collaboration in a team environment. Ability to multi-task and work well under time constraints.
- Demonstrated problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing work place culture, embracing diversity and a commitment to creating an inclusive, ideal work environment for faculty and staff.
- Demonstrates ability to initiate and effectively lead a change management process.
- Working familiarity with word, excel, power point, etc.
- Demonstrated clinical management/leadership experience of 5 years or greater.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cardiac, vascular, radiological, or surgical clinical operations and the understanding of cardiovascular disease processes, terminology and procedures. Familiarity with cardiac imaging technology helpful.
- Knowledge of University policies, rules and regulations, and professional knowledge.
- Under FLSA, incumbents in this position meet the criteria for exempt status.
Supervision is received from the Division Administrator and Division Chief of Cardiovascular Medicine.
Supervision is exercised over the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine’s Inpatient and Outpatient Nurse Managers on behalf of the Division and the respective areas that report to these individuals as noted above.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.