The Department of Internal Medicine, comprised of 13 unique divisions, is seeking an Administrative Specialist Intermediate to support local human resources (HR) functions, liaising with Michigan Medicine HR while ensuring efficient and effective processes related to front line HR advisory work including position posting determinations, new hire paperwork, appointment and funding changes, research fellow hiring process and immigration paperwork. Under the direct supervision of the Director of Administrative Operations for the Department of Internal Medicine, the Administrative Specialist Intermediate will be responsible for administrative and human resource departmental functions as described below.
This position is located at Domino's Farms and involves occasional travel to other locations within UMHS.
Serve as the first point of contact for all HR related matters. On a daily basis, partnering with management, HR Business Partners and staff; utilizing excellent judgment, diplomacy and problem solving skills contribute to processing for regular and temporary staff, employee relations, policy and procedure interpretation, special payment forms, tuition reimbursement, job classification and postings, candidate summary forms, terminations, and LOAs. Prepare wide range of HR paperwork to post positions, hire, terminate, or change appointment details of regular and temporary staff. Facilitate appropriate level approvals for all postings and screening and distribution of resumes to hiring teams. Answer questions, receive requests, process paperwork and track status throughout the process. Facilitate the Making a Difference Award certificate program Generate PAR transactions based on local needs, following HR policies. Maintain an in-depth knowledge of UM HR policies & procedures, and have the ability to interpret those policies to faculty & staff.
Responsible for all aspects of Research Fellow (RF) appointments which includes screening and recommending candidates; working with Faculty on job requirements, posting and monitoring the position, preparing appointment packet; ensuring salary is consistent with new Medical School guidelines and processing hiring paperwork. Oversees RF reappointments, which includes monitoring appointment terms; obtaining annual evaluation from Principal Investigator (PI), preparing memo with details of renewal for PI to give to RF, and processing transaction into HR system.
Serve as Department's I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) Compliance Officer. Maintaining expertise and knowledge of the I9 process. Complete I-9 forms, along with other required documents, within appropriate timeframes and according to established procedures. Process additional pay requests and track process through payment, following up as necessary. Utilize tracking systems and maintain data/information about transactions, processing times, issues, etc. Provide immigration processing support to all 13 divisions, including management of Immigration Intake Forms and tracking of visas.
Coordinating appointment of instructional staff including lecturers and graduate student instructors. This will require having an expert-level of understanding of labor relations and current labor contracts. Prepare new hire and reappointment paperwork, utilizing technology and best practices, ensuring compliance with unit, College, and UM HR policies and procedures.
Manage international hiring process; working directly with foreign nationals to obtain necessary information. Communicate with unit staff, International Center staff, and others as needed to ensure that paperwork is completed accurately, within establishing timelines, and in compliance with College, UM, and federal guidelines.
Post job openings for units, this includes assessing the title for the appropriate classification, entering information into e-Recruit. Assist with the hiring process; including assessing and recommending candidates to hiring managers; reviewing requested salaries to ensure departmental equity; assist with background check process following up as needed to ensure all steps are completed in the hiring process.
Participate in continuous improvement efforts including utilizing new technology; recommending improvements when necessary, and documenting best practices.
Oversee annual staff departmental performance review / merit process. Assist local management in the maintenance of The Joint Commission ready employee folders; must maintain expert-level knowledge of compliance as it pertains to the Joint Commission standards. Provide assistance for varied faculty and research related processing. Generate reports and queries from the HRIS system to support HR projects upon request. Establish cooperative relationships with other HSHR Business Units and HR staff.
Assist/cover for other team members with transactions as needed, especially during peak times.
Other projects or duties as assigned.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in HR or related area required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Track record in accurately completing transactional paperwork and meeting deadlines, ensuring compliance with established guidelines.
- Attention to detail is essential as well as sound judgment and the ability to problem solve effectively within appropriate guidelines and parameters.
- Experienced in teamwork and customer service.
- Excellent problem-solver and experienced with conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work accurately, independently and in collaboration with others.
- Personable, with a demonstrated excellence in both verbal and written communication required.
- Highly developed organizational and time management skills, along with experience and competence utilizing and leveraging technology and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, residents and staff at all levels.
- A strong commitment to provide excellent customer service is required along with the ability to work effectively with diverse constituents.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and patience will be essential in working in this team environment to meet changing demands and deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft programs - Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Wolverine Access/M-Pathways Human Resource Management System.
- Understanding and knowledge of immigration matters highly desired, specifically with J-1 and H-1B visas.
- Reasonable business experience in an administrative capacity is necessary
- Reasonable knowledge of University or HR policies and procedures, and practices is necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or an equivalent
- Experience working in an academic medical center is preferred and human resources experience a plus
- Knowledge of Provider Enrollment, Credentialing and Appointments (MACE, M-RECRUIT, Cactus, MARTA)
- Experience with labor relations and contract compliance highly desired.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.