How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Patient Services Assistant at the Back and Pain Center provides Check In and Check Out services along with telephone communication services to a complex multiple physicians’ practice servicing an adult patient population. Assistant is responsible for meeting the highest standards of customer service while providing effective communication with the patients, public, payers, referring physicians and other health care providers. Maintain excellent rapport, via the telephone and/or in person, with patients, faculty, and staff, within a team setting.
- Primary duty is as a check-in or check-out clerk.
- Provide excellent customer service to patients, physicians and coworkers.
- Receive and assist patients, visitors, and staff.
- Accurately and efficiently schedule patient appointments with patients and/or referring clinic utilizing MiChart.
- Collect payments, co-pays and past due balances at patient check out using established department guidelines.
- Reconcile personal cash collections and credit card transactions daily according to specified clinic standards.
- Process and compile patient paperwork for visit, in between care and clinical staff. This includes patient material received via fax as well as mail.
- Answer incoming phone calls and triage to appropriate location.
- Make outgoing phone calls utilizing such tools as the clerical support in-basket pool, new patient work queues and reschedule log via MiChart.
- Utilizes triage notes process accurately and appropriately documents patient requests including urgent medical problems, prescriptions and other medical needs, and referrals.
- Accurately record any phone messages and assure they are forwarded appropriately.
- Call patients to remind them of upcoming appointments.
- Effectively utilizes downtime to manage administrative work such as imaging, mail, fax server processing, procedure log, reschedules, procedure reminder calls, Prior Authorization transcription and any additional work assigned.
- Participates in identifying opportunities for process improvements to fulfill customer needs in collaboration with management/lead staff.
- Work independently and as a team player; seeks out or offers assistance to clerical related patient care needs that are still outstanding to complete.
- Monitor waiting area activity and assure a clean, organized, and safe environment.
- Promote personal comfort and convenience of patients and families by routinely checking their needs.
- Provide information regarding hospitals and community services as needed.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience is necessary.
- One year customer service experience, preferably within a call center or medical environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work appropriately is essential.
- Ability to accurately receive and relay information over the telephone and through written documentation.
- Ability to accept direction from multiple sources and remain adaptable to rapid changes in work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Solid typing/keyboard skills minimum typing speed of 45 net wpm.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under direction of the team lead.
- Detail oriented with analytical ability.
- Professional, flexible and positive team player.
- Excellent attendance.
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and technologies.
- Passion for providing excellent service to customers.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background screening and drug testing will be required.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of UMHS scheduling practices.
- Experience with computerized patient scheduling systems.
- Experience working with MiChart and Rockwell phone systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Experience working in a health care setting.
This is a full time position; Monday through Friday, shift hours are from 9-530pm (shift hours could potentially change based on the operational needs and required meetings).
The position is located in the Back & Pain Center located at the Burlington Building (325 East Eisenhower Parkway; Suite 310, Ann Arbor MI 48108).
The Success Patterns for this position are:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn to work as part of a team-oriented environment
- Knowledge of and/or ability to solve problems
- Strong attention to detail & accuracy
Successful Candidates will have the following Personal Characteristics:
- High enthusiasm and energy
- Willing to go the extra mile in all aspects of the job
- Respect for people, and hard work
- Willingness to challenge, and better yourself
- Flexible, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Fun personality
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.