How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position, your salary requirements, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
ABOUT THE STEPHEN M. ROSS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan is a diverse learning community grounded in the principle that business can be an extraordinary vehicle for positive change in today's dynamic global economy. The Ross School of Business mission is to develop leaders who make a positive difference in the world. Through thought and action, members of the Ross community drive change and innovation that improves business and society.
Ross is consistently ranked among the world's leading business schools. Academic degree programs include the BBA, MBA, Part-time MBA (Evening and Weekend formats), Executive MBA, Global MBA, Master of Accounting, Master of Supply Chain Management, Master of Management, and PhD. In addition, the school delivers open-enrollment and custom executive education programs targeting general management, leadership development, and strategic human resource management.
About the Department
Global Initiatives at Ross works to sustain and grow the school's international engagement at all levels to better meet the mission to develop leaders who make a positive difference in the world. The Global Initiatives team is led by the Executive Director of the Office of Strategy and Academic Innovation and the Managing Director of Global Initiatives. Global Initiatives includes India Initiatives and China Initiatives, dedicated to building the school’s presence in these markets; as well as the Global Initiatives Student Experience team, who manage the education abroad opportunities for Ross.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Global Initiatives, this position provides program coordination and support for a variety of initiatives, activities and projects to ensure that Global Initiatives meets its strategic objectives. Presently, these include a strong focus on China Initiatives and India Initiatives with the potential to grow into other parts of the world.
- Work with Managing Director of Global Initiatives and provide high-level support to develop and implement strategic initiatives.
- Develop, plan and execute programs, events, conferences, workshops, and/or meetings by managing logistics, facility reservations, staffing, preparing agendas, communicating with attendees, and attending/hosting, travel arrangements.
- Help to manage initiatives by participating in organizational meetings with faculty and program directors on design, finance, and operational aspects.
- Coordinate design and distribution of program materials, communications, websites, newsletters, and presentations as necessary.
- Solicit and respond to feedback regarding various aspects of the initiatives.
- Oversee and maintain project timelines and deadlines.
- Serve as liaison between students, faculty, applicable Ross and/or University departments, and project sponsors.
- Provide student advising as needed.
- Develop and maintain database of prospective students, current students, alumni, corporate contacts, etc.
- Hire and supervise temporary support/administrative staff as necessary.
- Oversee and advise conference student committees with planning, resources, university policies and procedures.
- Design and implement student fellowship or internship programs. Manage the application process and provide students with information relevant to their project selection and budget planning.
- Function as a primary contact and representative for the initiatives.
- Work with Managing Director to identify and implement opportunities to enhance the initiative by continually examining the external market and other programs/initiatives.
- ?Plan and track the annual budget for the program.
- In concert with ACT, ensure compliance with all applicable financial policies, procedures and requirements.
- Ensure that program costs remain within projected budget guidelines and execute events and projects within budget. Monitor expenses, conduct reconciliations, and prepare reports on activity costs.
- Represent and/or promote program at school-wide, local, regional, and international events
- Build and maintain relationships with UM alumni and other individuals and constituencies relevant to the initiatives’ mission and purpose
- Collaborate with other Ross and university departments in developing opportunities for promoting the initiatives.
- Facilitate execution of the initiatives’ objectives by identifying and fostering key relationships within the school, campus, local and national levels.
- Associate’s degree and minimum of 2 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Contributes to a positive work community by approaching work with diversity, equity, and inclusion in mind; treats others with respect, dignity, and in a manner where individuals feel they belong; listens, values feedback, and learns from the perspectives of others
- Demonstrated project management, international event planning and organizational skills within higher education or business/corporate community; strong attention to detail
- Experience in coordinating international travel for faculty, staff and students, including visa process
- Ability to exercise initiative as a critical member of a team and to work independently with high efficiency and productivity
- Experience in planning, preparing and monitoring budgets, and reconciling expenses.
- Professional demeanor and customer-service oriented manner
- Proven ability to successfully interact with top-level executives, faculty, and alumni
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities
- Ability to work with corporate sponsors, alumni, and other key individuals and to serve as a representative of Ross and the University of Michigan
- Experience in creating, maintaining and updating websites
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Proven ability to create marketing materials and proficiency using social media
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Proficiency and knowledge of Google tools, Canvas, and M+Box
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), website applications, and M Pathways Financials, and Concur
- Bachelor’s degree
- Skills testing may be required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- The person in this position routinely communicates with students about programs, events, activities, etc.
- The person in this position routinely presents information at events
- The person in this position routinely moves materials weighing up to 20 pounds throughout the School or to other venues for presentations or meetings
- The person in this position occasionally moves through the building to attend meetings/events and access files or information
- May require work during early mornings, nights, and/or weekends
- Domestic and/or international travel may be required
Michigan Ross values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of diverse and culturally intelligent staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.