How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Position Details: Financial Analyst – Enterprise Financial Reporting
Michigan Medicine Finance is seeking a financial analyst to join the Enterprise Financial Reporting team. The Enterprise Financial Reporting group plays a key role in reporting the financial status for Michigan Medicine as well as analyzing variances and operating performance trends. The primary customers for this role include Michigan Medicine operational and financial leadership, University Central Finance, as well as departments within the organization.
Is This Job Right for You? This job might be right for you if you:
- Want to work in a collaborative environment and understand the value in being part of a strong team
- Are able to function independently, and require minimal day-to-day supervision to deliver projects in a timely and effective manner
- Are able to analyze financial and operational trends and identify financial results that do not meet expectations
- Enjoy presenting information to groups ranging in size and level of financial acumen
- Have a natural curiosity for investigation of financial variances and the ability to translate their analyses into actionable information for decision making at all levels within the organization
- Participate in monthly closing process
- Review of monthly income statement and balance sheet by entity
- Perform variance analysis of key income statement and balance sheet anomalies, with an understanding of the relationship between operational activity and financial results
- Assist in preparation of annual financial report, including compilation of footnote disclosures and management discussion and analysis.
- Interface with external auditors regarding annual report and year end closing processes
- Compile financial presentations for various leadership groups
- Reconcile various general ledger accounts
- Participate in budget and forecast development for the organization
- Participate in various strategic financial planning and financial modeling activities for the organization
- Prepare ad hoc financial analyses and other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Business Administration with emphasis in accounting and finance
- Technical accounting capability with knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles. Prior financial reporting experience, either management internal reporting or external financial reporting
- Prior experience analyzing / understanding financial variances of actual vs. planned amounts
- Problem solving capabilities including root cause analysis, process comprehension, development of alternative solutions, and recommended course of action
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written. Ability to analyze large amounts of complex information to present simple and concise material to the appropriate audience
- Financial systems acumen, including considerable experience with MS Excel (Pivot tables, VLookups, etc) and PowerPoint as tools for advanced analytics and communication
- Ability to assess competing priorities, manage workflow and meet operational deadlines
- 5-8 years of professional related experience.
- 2-5 years of professional related experience.
- CPA certification
- Industry experience and / or background in healthcare
- Experience in preparing annual / quarterly reports for shareholders or bondholders, including footnote disclosures and management discussion and analysis commentary
- PeopleSoft / Oracle / Hyperion financial software experience
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
The mission of Michigan Medicine is to improve the health of patients, populations, and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research, and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally, and internationally. With annual revenues of approximately $4.5 billion, Michigan Medicine ranks as one of the top academic health centers in the country, and is committed to providing exceptional patient care, facilitating groundbreaking research and developing the next generation of physicians and scientists. Michigan Medicine consists of the University of Michigan Hospitals, the University of Michigan Medical School and its Medical Group, Michigan Health Corporation, and affiliated health systems.
Michigan Medicine Finance serves as the central finance group for the organization and is comprised of five functional areas: Clinical Financial Planning & Analysis, Enterprise Financial Reporting, Reimbursement, Medical School Finance, and Financial Systems.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.