How to Apply
A cover letter and contact information for three references are required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experiences that directly relate to this position. Please apply with a single document that includes a cover letter, resume, and list of references.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan system. UM-Dearborn is a comprehensive university offering high-quality undergraduate, graduate, professional, and continuing education to residents of southeastern Michigan, and currently enrolls just under 9,000 students. UM-Dearborn is located 10 miles west of downtown Detroit and 35 miles east of Ann Arbor. The campus is strategically located on 200 suburban acres of the original Henry Ford Estate in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan Region.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn has an exciting job opportunity for an Operations and User Services Supervisor in the Mardigian Library. This full-time position reports directly to the Head of the User Services Department.
- Provide excellent customer service to all faculty, staff, students, and guests
- Serve as coordinator for item reshelving and stack maintenance
- Supervise 5-10 student employees, including scheduling and training
- Serve as coordinator for resource sharing initiatives (MeLCat, UM campus library-to-library and ILL item processing)
- Serve as contact for external campus groups to arrange use of library building
- Report all building issues to and serve as contact for Facilities Management
- Monitor department supplies and keep track of inventory
- Assist with special projects and other duties as assigned
- Assist patrons in locating library materials
- Respond to inquiries about library policies, procedures and services
- Balance cash register
- Book study rooms for students using reservation software
- Clear blocked patron records
- Operate automated circulation system (Innovative Interfaces Sierra)
- Compile relevant statistics
- Run reports using Sierra library automation software; track data in Excel
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access), and comfort using computers and technology required. Experience with library automation preferred (Sierra/Millennium experience a plus)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule (including nights and weekends) when necessary
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students and the public
- Good interpersonal skills, strong customer service skills and good decision making skills required
- Previous library working experience preferred
- Experience working in a very diverse environment strongly desired
- Strong cash handling experience preferred
Monday through Friday 9:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Occasional nights and weekends as needed
NOTE: This is a term-limited, 8-month position. It is a regular position with full benefits that is limited to 8 months.
Currently this classification is considered non-exempt based on compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.