How to Apply
A cover letter and resume are required; the cover letter must be PAGE 1 of your resume. The letter should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position;
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position; and
- Include your current or ending salary.
Merit Network Inc., a nonprofit corporation owned and governed by Michigan's public universities, owns and operates America's longest-running regional research and education network. In 1966, Michigan's public universities created Merit as a shared resource to help meet their common need for networking assistance. For over 50 years, Merit Network has remained on the forefront of research and education networking expertise and services. Merit provides high-performance networking solutions to Michigan's public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other non-profit organizations.
For more information: www.merit.edu
The Merit Support Center (MSC) provides 24/7 365-day first level pre-sale and post-sale support for all Merit services including network connectivity, cloud services and other services as well as administrative support to Merit Members and Customers.
The MSC is a combined environment of Network Operations and support for services that Merit delivers over the network. As such, the MSC Analysts must have a strong technical background in networking and customer support.
MSC Analysts work under the supervision of the Merit Support Center Manager. MSC Analysts track and ensure timely and appropriate resolution of a large range of problems, calling for help to escalate problems technically or administratively, as appropriate. Areas that the MSC Analyst need to handle reliably include: networking components (routers, switches, fiber or leased circuits, power equipment), IT infrastructure including servers and applications, and other Merit services.
While the MSC Analyst must be able to work independently, they are also part of a collaborative team that works together to solve issues both small and large. MSC Analysts are part of the Technology Operations team which includes Merit's IT and Network Engineering departments. This relationship offers the unique opportunity to learn and grow in an environment with the help of resources from the various departments.
- Deliver a highly customer focused service to Merit Members, external and internal Customers and Merit Partners -- to exceed their expectations both in technical resolution and customer service. Be able to see issues from the customer’s perspective and assess the urgency of requests and respond accordingly. (E)
- Efficiently monitor multiple alarm systems, responding to alerts in a timely and effective manner. Perform moderately complex testing, analysis, and repair of Merit services. (E)
- Be efficient in these technology areas: IT and network configurations, DNS administration, fiber and circuit infrastructure and documentation, and monitoring tool applications. (E)
- Be able to solve problems at different levels, often multitasking to solve moderate level and some complex problems and be able to handle several problems at one time. (E)
- Identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions. (E)
- Be able to communicate clearly and concisely as appropriate to differing audiences. (E)
- Create service tickets and maintain up-to-date "next step" analysis for those tickets. Service ticket updates and all communication should be quality updates which are concise and complete. Ensure that service issues are triaged, worked, and escalated effectively with Merit internal teams, Merit Customers, Members and Service Providers to resolve service issues with minimal customer impact in accordance with established processes and procedures. (E)
- Ensure timely and frequent communication to both customers and internal teams to ensure availability issues are understood and on target for resolution. (E)
- Efficiently work both as an individual and in a team setting; taking over problems-in-progress at the beginning of a shift, and leaving problems in an effective state at the end of a shift. Work as a team to create a positive, collaborative, professional, and hard-working environment. Be able to develop and maintain positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of workgroup, interacting in a friendly, open, and honest manner. (E)
- Have regular attendance and timeliness to designated work hours. (E)
- Be able to utilize analytical and communication skills in the development and modification of written procedures, processes, and technical support knowledge base, resulting in content tailored to the level and type of audience for support and issue resolution.
- Embrace and drive change by adopting practices to improve work processes, enhance Customer and staff satisfaction and ensure excellence in daily work. Generate new ideas to improve MSC process, procedures and toolsets that lead better efficiency and effectiveness of the MSC and Merit overall. Develop and follow best practices and procedures and share knowledge with team members and mentors staff.
- Participate in professional development activities and work to continually improve the Analyst's own knowledge and skills in the areas of customer service, network, fiber and IT infrastructure and services.
- Teach, train, and mentor other Analysts to improve MSC knowledge and capabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT, networking or related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Three years with strong customer service background and demonstrated organizational skills.
- Intermediate knowledge and experience in the following networking areas:
- Troubleshooting - Traceroute, pings, iperf/personar, packet sniffers, and looking glass servers.
- Internet Addressing, administration, and troubleshooting (IPv4 & IPv6).
- Understanding of basic networking TCP/IP. ARP Tables, SSL, SSH.
- Familiarity with the "Command Line Interface (CLI)" for Windows, Linux, Cisco IOS, and Juniper JUNOS.
- Knowledge and experience in at least three of these main areas of network and IT technologies and service administration:
- DNS administration and troubleshooting
- Fiber Infrastructure
- Dynamic and Static IP routing protocols including BGP, OSPF
- Administration of Virtual Server & Desktop environments
- Security operations including general threat analysis, firewall management
- Subnetting, ACLs, and NATing
- Interface Configurations - Turning up and routing interfaces (CISCO, Juniper)
- Network-based service monitoring and management tool experience with focus on troubleshooting and service issue resolution.
- Demonstrated communication ability in writing skills (e.g., reflecting sensitivity to tone, audience, and organizational politics). Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellence at maintaining strong working relationships with multiple customers, organizations, vendors, management, and peers.
- Experience continually improving an organization's capability, effectiveness, and reputation.
- Ability to interact with technical and non-technical customers in a positive and supportive manner regardless of circumstances.
- Knowledge of host-based services and some understanding of Unix and/or Windows.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word. Proficient at using email, shared calendaring, and other collaborative applications.
- Must be self-motivated and work well within a team environment and also have the ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple issues in a fast-paced environment.
- Be a continuous learner. Have the ability to learn and enjoy learning new things.
- Candidate should have experience and ability to work fixed schedules outside of normal business hours, to work holidays and a changing schedule.
- Knowledge of network services such as:
- Voice over IP technologies
- Internet Routing Registries
- MPLS, and VLANS
- Computer Programming or Scripting experience.
- Experience with 24x7 environment relating to service support policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and experience with outside and inside plant fiber optic infrastructure.
- ITILv3 Foundations Certification.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations a plus.
- Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
- For information about benefits: http://careers.umich.edu/benefits/
- For additional information about this position and to review other current openings at Merit, please visit our website at: http://merit.edu/employment/.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Indicate whether or not this person has informal (guide project work, etc.) or formal (set pay rates, discipline if necessary, set work schedule, etc.) supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee (with or without accommodations) to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Employee must frequently work at computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and/or other forms of customer/client communication. Employee may on occasion be required to move items of various sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, work schedule will be determined by supervisor and may change if necessary. There may be some occasional work required outside of established schedule, which may include weekends and holidays. The set work schedule will either be (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, 8pm - 6am) or (Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, 8pm - 6am), candidates choice.
Travel may be required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Merit Network, Inc. serves the research, education and public sector communities as a trusted and valued partner. Merit advances member success, research, economic development, collaboration, and professional development by leveraging its network infrastructure, expertise and the value of its member communities.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.