How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Responsible for assisting the Director with the execution of direct marketing strategy designed to engage the most people possible by integrating appeals and stewardship communications. The Assistant Director will focus on maintaining and improving the effectiveness of solicitations for annual gifts. The individual will play an integral role in managing appeals for the Health System, serving as producer, project manager, and liaison on behalf of annual programs. This role also runs reports and accesses information from donor databases to help develop strategic recommendations and communicate program results.
- Provide first point of contact for UMHS direct marketing efforts to alumni, grateful patients and friends of UMHS.
- Develops and coordinates the annual giving portion of the comprehensive fundraising programs of assigned units.
- Assists with strategic planning, creating, scheduling, and evaluating productive, high-quality, cost-effective annual fund solicitation packages for assigned units.
- Works with assigned liaison relationships to plan and implement annual giving programs across channels using direct mail, e-mail, social media, Telefund, and Internet strategies.
- Provides budget projections and estimates of results.
- Meets with staff (MGOs, support staff etc.) to determine fundraising goals and best way to accomplish them.
- Provides “best in class” information on various options and processes.
- Coordinates Marketing Effort IDs, mailing lists, and submits data requests to data team.
- Collaborates with other Medical Development teams (marketing communications, stewardship, events).
- Works with designers, writers, and printing and mailing vendors as needed.
- Proofreads and reviews all materials to ensure quality and consistent messaging.
- Tracks efforts on central project calendar.
- Utilizes data to assess needs, track progress, and analyze results.
- Analyzes performance of select annual giving programs. Evaluates annual acquisition, retention, and upgrade strategy effectiveness.
- Proactively brainstorms and develops new initiatives and special projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three to five years of experience in annual giving, stewardship, donor relations or gift work.
- Experience working in a complex environment similar to the University of Michigan Health System.
- Sound organizational abilities with an attention to details.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as a proven record of working collaboratively with others.
- Excellent written and communication skills with an engaging, genuine and mature personal style.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, while meeting challenging and changing deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to develop good working relationships with internal and external constituency groups and work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment.
- Development experience in an academic health system setting with a comprehensive development program.
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan organization, policies, and procedures.
- Experience with DART or similar donor management systems.
- Experience running reports in Business Objects and/or Tableau.
- Experience with successful project facilitation and peer leadership.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.