How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The DevOps Engineer Senior will support a highly-interactive research team in the Center for Statistical Genetics (CSG) at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. The group is involved in cutting edge genetics research, studying genetic variation in humans, with a focus on understanding how genetic variation contributes to the risk of complex disorders such as diabetes, heart disease, late-onset blindness and psychiatric illness. The group participates in all aspects of the design and analysis of genetic studies, ranging from the development of interactive applications for enrolling and engaging study participants to the development, distribution, and maintenance of free software for the analysis of genetic data. This is an opportunity to work in a challenging and rewarding research area that constantly poses new technical and computational problems.
We are analyzing the largest genetic datasets in the world, totalling petabytes of data and often requiring the deployment of 10,000s of cores in each analysis. This position will focus on automating and streamlining our processes for data processing at scale and on transitioning local processes to secure cloud environments. The successful candidate must have cloud computing experience and should also have experience with traditional high-performance computing clusters.
- Design, develop and deploy pipelines that enable reproducible and scalable processing of large genetic datasets in cloud and HPC environments.
- Work with application developers and end-users to connect high-quality analysis processes and user interfaces to scalable compute resources and infrastructure.
- Automate processes for securing systems and data, for allocating limited resources, for monitoring and collecting use metrics, and for responding to security incidents.
- Help design local and remote compute systems to balance cost, performance, and user needs.
- Contribute to maintenance and administration of local and cloud compute resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in a related role displaying strong personal initiative, a drive for continuous improvement, demonstrated end-to-end responsibility for mission-critical services and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to convey technical concepts effectively such that various audiences receiving the communication can understand.
- Extensive experience with Linux and with at least one major cloud provider (GCE, AWS, or Azure).
- Experience with writing and documenting high-quality code using version control systems such as Git.
- Experience with continuous integration tools (Jenkins, Travis CI, etc).
- Experience with web service and application components including HTTP servers, proxies and SQL/NoSQL database servers (MySQL preferred).
- Proficiency in the principles of computer programming and at least one high-level language such as C/C++, Perl, Python, Go or Ruby.
- Experience with HPC batch queuing and resource management systems such as SLURM or Sun Grid Engine.
- Experience with configuration management using tools such as Puppet or Chef.
- Familiarity with containerization systems such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Prior experience in a FISMA compliant environment.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Starting salary will vary depending on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. This position may be filled at the Senior level 101904 ($75,100 to $88,302) or the Intermediate level 101902 ($58,200 to $71,900). Starting salary and position are dependent on qualifications and experience. The requirements listed below reflect the Senior level but those with lesser experience are also encouraged to apply.
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff (leader/member) with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.