Coordinate and optimize patient flow across the OR/PACU in order to promote quality, safety, and appropriate nursing staff. Act as a liaison for clinical and operational issues surrounding patient placement in partnership with anesthesia, OR, and surgical services. Assist the nurse manager in planning and management of patient care. Provide leadership in the practice of nursing, emphasizing quality patient care, education and research. Assist nursing leadership team in planning and managing the clinical and administrative operations of the CVC OR, including supervision of the nursing and support staff. Share 24/7 phone/pager coverage that addresses department operational needs.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Provide effective communication between all team members to ensure seamless process.
- Assist in staffing schedules. Assist in coordinating between management and patient care activities consistent with the University of Michigan Hospital and Health Center mission and goal statements.
- Maintain collaborative/consultative relationship with other professionals and administrative personnel.
- Provide ongoing assessment and communication of OR and patient status to OR, PACU and Anesthesia.
- Assess patient volumes and workload intensity in all areas for coordination and placement of patients.
- Work closely with OR, PACU and Anesthesia Charge to coordinate staffing with real time activity.
- Act as a liaison between the OR/PACU/Anesthesia department and patients and families.
- Coordinate the management, preparedness, and cleanliness of the OR.
- Provide continuous communication of OR staffing, on-call, patient safety and parent concerns.
- Provide Administrative and functional supervisor is exercised over nursing and support staff as
- delegated by the Nurse Manager. Clinical nurse supervisor reports directly to the Nurse Manager.
Nursing Specific Info
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan.
- Current OR experience.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years of experience as a Registered Nurse.
- Evidence of demonstrated or potential leadership ability including charge nurse, team leader, professional development framework, management, or ability to perform as role model to nursing staff.
- Unit committee membership.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Ability to professionally work with a diverse group of people in a diplomatic and effective manner.
- Evidence of ability to assess, interpret, and analyze clinical information independently and collaboratively.
- Computer competency including, Word, Excel and the ability to extract data from University based supported computer data bases.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to direct nursing practice and apply nursing judgment to a variety of situations.
- Demonstrated consistent critical thinking skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with administrators, physicians, peers and subordinates.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Master of Science Nursing
- Consultative and teaching skills.
- Experience with family centered care philosophy.
- Evidence of continuous professional development activities.
- Knowledge of the University of Michigan Health System policies and practice
Hours: 40 hours/week
Shift: Evening shift; 12-9p; hours will flex to department need
Location: Frankel Cardiovascular Center OR
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.