The Neonatal Nurse Practitioner will provide direct patient care to newborns/infants in Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital (VVWH) and neonatal patients in the Brandon NICU expansion unit (10 West). The goals include providing the highest quality patient and family centered care, facilitating communication among multidisciplinary care providers, increasing educational opportunities for house staff and medical students, and innovating care of the newborn in the Children's and Women' Hospital.
- The practitioner will complete detailed histories and physicals and present pertinent data to the medical staff.
- Collect and interpret reports from diagnostic lab tests, radiographic procedures, and clinical studies.
- Order tests and prescribe medications.
- Perform various diagnostic, therapeutic, and minor procedures.
- Contribute to the education of new resident physicians and nurses from both the Well Newborn and NICU services.
- Confer with attending physicians and communicate with other care providers/consultants to coordinate clinical care.
- Maintain accurate documentation regarding patient status, evaluations, and treatment.
- Streamline the patient transfer process from VVWH to NICU, including writing discharge orders and communicating specific patient needs to team members.
- Attend high risk deliveries, lead neonatal resuscitation activities. Participate in quality assurance activities.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the attending physician, and/or NICU medical director.
- Utilize new improvements and/or technologies that relate to job assignment.
- Palliative care
- Prenatal consult services for mothers who are taking high risk medications.
- Consult services to other newborn care providers in the birthing center, including Family Practice Physicians, Private Pediatricians, and Well Newborn Rounding Physicians.
Nursing Specific Info
Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with nursing opportunities please contact Nurse Recruitment at (734) 936-5183.
- Current license to practice Nursing in the State of Michigan.
- Graduation from an accredited nurse practitioner program.
- A Master’s degree in Nursing.
- Certification as a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner and ongoing maintenance of license.
- Clinical experience in a Level II or Level III Nursery that includes delivery attendance.
- Specialty Certification as a nurse practitioner by the State of Michigan.
- A minimum of 1 year experience attending deliveries requiring newborn resuscitation and evaluation.
- A minimum 1 year experience caring for acutely ill patients with diseases common in a Level III Nursery setting.
- Self-directed, reliable, demonstrates initiative and motivation to work independently as evidenced by previous/current employment experience and demonstrated in annual evaluations.
- Must reflect a professional appearance and demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated high level of critical thinking and ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
The ideal candidate will possess and the exhibit following qualities:
- Possess outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, including strong facilitative interpersonal skills, skills to successfully resolve conflicts, excellent problem solving skills and ability to provide direct and effective feedback; as evidenced by previous/current employment experience and demonstrated in annual evaluations.
- Demonstrated expertise in facilitating the educational growth of others through previous clinical instructional roles.
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of current medical, surgical, and pharmaceutical treatment modalities of the acutely ill neonates.
Shift: Day/ Night rotation; including weekends; shift length and hours - variable
Location: Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital (VVWH) 9E, 9W Birthing Center, Brandon NICU, 10W C.S. Mott Children’s Hosptial.
NP Tier: NP SURG SUBSPECIALTY TIER 2
This job opening is for a Unit-Based Temporary NP position with the Von Voigtlander Women's Hospital (VVWH) 9E, 9W Birthing Center
* Please note that these positions do not qualify for UMHS benefits and specific terms and conditions of employment are negotiated at the department level.
These positions are not covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the University of Michigan and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U of M Professional Nurse Council.
This job posting is for a University of Michigan Temporary position. Temporary employment may be full or part time, but in either case is limited in duration. Please review the full posting description for details.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.