How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
PLEASE NOTE: The minimum salary for this position is $57,600. Actual salary commensurate with experience, education and equity factors.
As our Full Stack Developer you will be tasked with managing the interchange of data between the server and the users. You will be responsible for the development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. You will also be integrating the front-end elements built by you and your coworkers into the application. A working knowledge of front-end technologies is essential.
You will also help us create compelling user experiences through multiple mediums that engage target audiences. Your primary focus will be the development of websites and other digital mediums for our Auxiliary clients. You will need to be open-minded, forward-thinking, a keen observer of the human condition and know what it takes to communicate in a way that creates an emotional connection to a brand.
You need to excel at self-driven execution, communication, multi-tasking, driving projects to success and, being a team player. You will also need to thrive on collaboration, strategy, creativity, flexibility and analytics, and champion Student Life Auxiliary brands at the University of Michigan.
In your cover letter please include a link(s) to samples of your work.
Frontend Development – 40%
- Development and integration of user-facing elements with server side logic
- Development of web wireframes
- Identify and create personas
- Conduct user interviews and usability testing
- Development of interaction mapping
- Implement user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments
Backend Development – 50%
- Building reusable code, modules and libraries for future use
- Implementation of security and data protection
- Design and implementation of data storage and analytic solutions
- Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Management of hosting environment, including database administration and scaling an application to support load changes
- Data migration, transformation, and scripting
- Setup and administration of backups
- Outputting data in different formats
- Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
Learning, Strategy and Technology – 10%
Maintain a familiarity with web analytics and SEO techniques
Based on established site goals, identify strategies, metrics and KPIs for measuring success
Provide recommendations for improving SEO of sites based on best-practices and KPIs
Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus 2-3 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience resolving browser-specific and device-specific front-end bugs
- Experience integrating front-end, responsive, and mobile technologies
- Experience with CSS preprocessor stacks (SASS, Gulp, Compass, etc.)
- Experience with SQL Databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL etc.
- Experience in Git as source code management system
- Experience with open source CMS applications. (Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, etc. )
Experience within a marketing, advertising and/or retail environment
Accustomed to brand awareness, strategic accomplishment and customer service
Experience working in higher education
PLEASE NOTE: Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors, such as LESS and SASS
Understanding accessibility and security compliance
Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms such as mobile vs desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
Proficient knowledge of a back-end programming language
Proficient understanding of code versioning tools
Proficient understanding of OWASP security principles
Understanding of “session management” in a distributed server environment
Familiar with frameworks like Bootstrap, Foundation, Backbone
Familiarity with cross-browser and cross-device testing
Ability to work with web designers, project managers, creative asset stakeholders
Basic understanding of PHP and Object Oriented Programing.
Superior organizational and time management abilities
Comfortable and capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously and working with tight deadlines
Demonstrated ability to adapt to changing priorities
Proven ability to work well in a team environment and with a diverse group of clients
Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, with minimal supervision
Working knowledge of design principles and practices
Strong ability to think creatively and work collaboratively with others to transform brand experiences
Ability to visualize and evaluate design elements
Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
Extremely detail oriented and focused on results
Willingness to adapt and comprehend programs, tools, systems, and environments
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Demonstrated commitment to diversity and a solid understanding of cultural, ethnic and individual differences
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.