Basic Function and Responsibility
Under general supervision, performs a variety of administrative and staff support duties for a specified department, which requires a range of skills and knowledge of organizational policies and procedures. Assists and directs visitors, and resolves administrative problems and inquiries; composes, edits, and proofreads correspondence and reports, and prepares a range of administrative documents
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Performing interoffice administrative coordination, routine bookkeeping transactions, internal tracking of documents and travel arrangements including travel vouchers
- Using discretion and making administrative judgments based on existing operating guidelines to resolve day to day operating issues
- Gathering and analyzing statistical data in order to create and prepare routine and ad-hoc reports and correspondence
- Utilization of word processing, spreadsheets, Visio and PowerPoint applications to manipulate and format correspondence/data
- Coordinates and performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities for the department
- Performs diversified administrative secretarial duties for department head and department as needed such as answering telephones, assisting visitors, and resolving and/or referring a range of administrative concerns and inquires
- Arranges travel and lodging arrangements for Director and Managers/Supervisors
- Operates personal computer to compose and edit correspondence and/or memoranda from dictation, verbal direction, or from knowledge of established department policies; may prepare, transcribe, compose, type, edit, and distribute agendas and/or minutes of meetings
- Prepares or assists with the preparation of scheduled and/or ad hoc statistical and narrative reports; performs basic information gathering and analysis
- Maintains Director’s calendar including scheduling appointments, arranging meetings, preparing agenda and meeting materials; prepares and distributes meeting minutes and follows-up on discussion and/or directive in those minutes to see that appropriate action is initiated; provides telephone and reception coverage for the Director, develops and maintains Director’s files, assists in the coordination of front desk temporary staff including scheduling, training and evaluating; receives, sorts and directs mail to the appropriate person for handling using department’s routing system; drafts correspondence responding to inquiries and complaints received from faculty, staff, outside agencies and the public which requires interpretation of routine policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence dealing with sensitive and confidential information
- Personal interaction involves providing and obtaining highly confidential information requiring discretion and judgment in the interpretation and application of policies and procedures. Assisting with and/or resolving employee problem, complaints and grievances
- Acts as liaison between supervisor and staff; coordinates special projects
- Monitors and approves expenditures within prescribed parameters, generally restricted to supplies, equipment
- Handles petty cash and telephone refund disbursement and reconciliations of MPathways P-Card
- Assists unit management and staff in problem solving, project planning, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services
- Word processing and/or data entry skills
- Records maintenance skills
- Ability to gather and analyze statistical data and generate reports
- Receptionist skills
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Database management skills
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments
- Record and transcribe meeting minutes
- Create, compose, and edit written materials
- Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing
- High school diploma or GED with 4 to 5 years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Preferred Associates degree in related field or equivalent combination of education/certification/experience.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service approach to job responsibilities in addition to superior verbal, written and electronic communication skills
- Demonstrated skill in managing multiple priorities in a fast paced environment
- Reasonable knowledge of University of Michigan policies, rules and regulations
- Ability to type 40-60 w.p.m. with accuracy
- Knowledge of the operation of automated office equipment including PC applications
Work Days: Monday - Friday
Work Hours: To Be Determine (Day shift)
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.