How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Mcity is a public-private partnership formed at U-M to transform global mobility by dramatically improving transportation safety, sustainability, and accessibility. Mcity draws on the broad expertise of U-M and its partners to address the host of legal, political, social, regulatory, economic, urban planning, and business issues that must be addressed to devise and implement practical systems that take advantage of emerging technologies. Mcity also provides testing at our one-of-a-kind proving ground, simulating the complexities of an urban environment, and through on-road vehicle deployments in Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan, working with our partners including the U-M Transportation Research Institute.
We are looking for a seasoned data engineer to work on all layers of the data architecture for Mcity. If you enjoy building simple, intuitive data products for non-technical audiences, and have hands-on experience with multi-tenant, multi-terabyte production deployments, consider joining us.
Mcity runs several laboratories and C/AV (Connected / Automated Vehicle) research programs. As part of this we collect, store, classify, and assist with the analysis of a wide variety of data, working closely with our industry members and university researchers.
Depending on your skills and interests, you will have the opportunity to learn, build and scale all the components of our data architecture, including:
- Batch data ingestion
- Streaming data ingestion
- Master data layer (metadata + distributed file system)
- Analytics layer (data warehousing for reporting and ad hoc query)
- Integrations layer (for downstream processing and consumption)
As a member of the Mcity engineering team, your typical week will include:
- Functioning as the technical project manager, coordinating work between various U-M resources and Mcity staff
- Designing and building new data projects, and improving existing data projects, usually in collaboration with the lab director and other engineers
- Quiet time for coding, query, analysis
- Our daily team stand-up (we are a small personable team)
- Discussion of requirements with the team and story creation for them
- Interaction with customers – this includes industry members as well as the U-M research community
- A chance to learn something new and share your knowledge with others, serving in a mentorship capacity for student and junior team members
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, with at least 4 years of relevant experience building similar types of data systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with high-volume, sensor-based data collection, processing, warehousing, and analysis
- Experience with RDBMS, front-ends for ad-hoc querying and data exploration
- Knowledge of connected and/or automated vehicle technologies
- Knowledge of vehicle data acquisition systems
Mcity will consider increasing the maximum salary listed for more highly experienced applicants.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.