How to Apply
A cover letter and samples of work are required for consideration for this position and should be attached with your resume as one document. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Social Media Strategist is responsible for the strategic vision and oversight of Michigan Medicine's social media efforts, including our blogs. This person will serve as the leader and primary resource for those involved in social media activities across Michigan Medicine and the U-M Medical School. Successful candidates will provide analytical insight, thought leadership, adaptability, quick thinking, enthusiasm and creativity to deliver best-in-class strategies, tactics and metrics.
- Create and monitor an online presence for people to connect with Michigan Medicine and forge lifelong relationships, creating brand advocates and loyalists throughout the world.
- Implement and direct effective and measurable social media strategies that build and spread engagement with patients, families and others seeking expert and authoritative health information.
- Create efforts to boost followers on social media and our blog.
- Provide leadership, vision and direction for other staff engaged in similar efforts throughout Michigan Medicine.
- Establish key performance indicators and other success metrics to effectively perform analysis of digital and social media campaigns and our blog; create monthly dashboards for priority clinical programs highlighting and trending key performance indicators.
- Monitor customer engagement and identify new ways to activate participation and feedback.
- Monitor the social media landscape and promptly direct external concerns and questions to the appropriate departments.
- Reach out to and engage with influential bloggers to improve reach, visibility, recognition and the reputation of Michigan Medicine, its faculty and other content generators. Work with the media relations team to reach out to traditional media.
- Create a social media brand style guide for reputation management to enhance and protect the Michigan Medicine brand.
- Assist with and advise on content creation.
Division of Responsibilities:
Develops & Implements Social Media Strategy
Create and implement plans and strategies for social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Instagram, in consultation with Department of Communication leadership. Plan and develop content for and update social media channels. Monitor social media channels and respond to positive and negative comments as appropriate. Triage questions and problems from customers and other constituents as appropriate. Provide guidance for social media goals and objectives and implement metrics to measure effectiveness of efforts. Keep current with trends in social media and online marketing.
Manage Social Media Initiatives
Manage social media and digital initiatives from concept to execution. This includes, but is not limited to, web content/development, search engine marketing, and digital messaging, paid digital marketing, and e-mail marketing. Coordinate the social media components throughout Michigan Medicine, including our blog. Work with Department of Communication leadership on crisis communications. Work with digital and advertising agencies to coordinate campaigns. Work with vendors and staff on graphic design and infographics. Integrate new digital tools into online strategies to help improve efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Promote team-building and share digital best practices/learnings with other Department of Communication team members to improve their fluency. Build relationships and manage reputation and customer service issues on the social networks. Work closely with the other Department of Communication staff to support community outreach activities and event marketing when necessary.
Writes/Edits Digital Content
In collaboration with fellow Department of Communication staff research, write and edit articles and content for a variety of social platforms. Contribute to social media editorial calendar and publish content on sites.
Social Media/Digital Content Consulting
Work closely with colleagues within and outside of the Michigan Medicine Department of Communication to advise and guide appropriate use of social media within departments and for Michigan Medicine as a whole. Consults with service lines to establish social media initiatives. This includes promotion of the social media policy and style guide and helping to communicate these to internal audiences.
Monitors budget for paid social initiatives. Develops proposals for new programs and projects. Prepares cost estimates for work planned and requested. Work with vendors, review proposals and present to department leadership and clients.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge and skills
- Actively pursues learning and self-development opportunities
- Consistently uses available time effectively and handles multiple assignments.
- Communicates a spirit of enthusiasm, participation and creativity in accomplishing objectives and solving problems.
- Maintains a neat, clean and uncluttered work area.
- Presents a professional style appropriate and effective for job responsibility.
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in marketing, communication, public relations, strategic communication, journalism or business communication required.
- Five to eight years professional experience in using, monitoring and planning digital/social media efforts in a professional setting such as a public relations/communications, interactive, advertising or marketing agency.
- Experience with brand management, issues management, public relations or journalism is a plus.
- Must be comfortable in a multi-layered organization with complex reporting relationships.
- Proven experience leading a diverse team and generating client satisfaction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with solid understanding of social media is a must.
- Fluency in languages in addition to English.
- Advanced degree preferred.
The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidates education and experience.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.