The University of Michigan, University Health Service (UHS) is looking for an energetic physician to lead and direct the clinic operations as the Medical Director. This position represents the UHS Clinical Service units to Student Life (SL), Michigan Medicine, the University Community, governmental agencies, and the general public.
- Participate with senior management of UHS through membership in the Administrative Committee (AdCom) in the development and implementation of policies, procedures, priorities, programs, goals, and objectives.
- Represent the Executive Director of University Health Service in their absence.
- Represent UHS to University administration, Student Life, and to other university and community units providing health care with full authority to make commitments on clinical policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with Michigan Medicine to ensure high quality clinical operations, and to facilitate courtesy medical school appointments and credentialing of UHS clinical staff.
- Under the direction of the UHS Executive Director, attend various outside agency and internal committees and operational meetings with authority to make commitments within established policies and procedures.
- Serve on the UHS Accreditation Lead Team which oversees the standards of practice as established by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care.
- Being the lead chair of the Medical Executive Committee that ensures compliance with existing internal policies and procedures.
- To lead the Medical Executive Committee in review of clinical research proposals, document, guidelines, and the pharmacy formulary.
- Participate in the Student Life Leadership Assembly.
- Assure compliance with federal and state regulations that effect the UHS Clinical Services division.
- Direct and conduct special projects and studies, including the preparation of analytical reports and the formation of alternative courses of action for UHS.
- Address problems and concerns raised by patients, clinicians, and other staff, including grievances.
- Participate in conferences, staff development programs, and leadership workshop.
- Provide leadership to clinicians, managers, supervisors and staff, including but not limited to, treatment center and triage.
- Recruit, train, evaluate, coach, supervise, and discipline when necessary the managers and supervisors within the Clinical Services units.
- Review and approve staffing plans and personnel actions, including definition of duties, reporting relationships, selection and assignment of staff, performance evaluations, salary adjustments, and reclassifications for managers or staff in the Clinical Services units.
- Oversee the revenue and expense budgets of all Clinical Services units, including ongoing cost/benefit analysis, system review, and revenue analysis and enhancement.
- Provide leadership for the collaboration of functions of Clinical Services with other units within UHS.
- Promote and coordinate staff development and recognition.
- Promote Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) initiatives set forth by the University.
- Promote the concepts of service excellence to all clinic services staff.
Clinician, Medical Clinic
- Perform as a clinical provider in their area of specialty for a wide scope of clinical practice which includes adolescents, beginning at age 10, to the elderly.
- Evaluate and examine patients to determine the nature and extent of illness.
- Order or execute various tests, analyses, and x-rays to provide information on patient ’ s condition.
- Analyze reports, findings of tests and examinations in order to diagnose conditions and communicate this information to patients.
- Proficiently read plain x-rays and ECGs.
- Administer and prescribe a spectrum of treatments, including minor office surgery, minor trauma care and office orthopedic care within the Medical Clinic.
- Effectively counsel patients on diet and lifestyle modifications relevant to prevention of disease.
- Interpret electrocardiograms.
- Guide and counsel a variety of mental health problems and, when applicable, refer patients to a psychiatrist or other mental health specialists.
- Supervise the clinical practice or mentor midlevel providers within the Medical Clinic.
- Extend the knowledge of clinicians at the UHS by providing consultation service for complex patients.
- Provide after-hours and weekend coverage on a rotating basis.
- Complete regular peer review activities as coordinated through the Medical Clinics and the Quality Improvement Committee.
- Attend and actively participate in onsite Continuing Medical Education activities and other outside CM activities relevant to specific area of training.
- Maintain compliance with billing and coding practices
- Participate in the management of onsite medical emergency procedures
- Participate in the administrative functioning of UHS through participation in various committees, workgroups or special projects as directed by the Medical Director or designee.
General direction is received from the Executive Director, University Health Service.
Functional and administrative supervision is exercised over supervisors and staff in the clinical, nursing, and clinical operations area.
- Doctor of Medicine, or Doctor of Osteopathy; with board certification.
- Possession of a current license to practice their profession in the State of Michigan.
- Possession of an appropriate state prescribing license and federal Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs License (MD and DO only).
- Progressively responsible administrative experience in the healthcare setting.
- Thorough knowledge of leadership and management principles, practices and methods.
- Knowledge of electronic health record, preferably EPIC.
- Recent experience practicing their profession.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with a student health service.
- Some knowledge of University and departmental policies and procedures.
- Experience in compliance with federal regulations, clinical billing issues and quality improvement.
- Experience or knowledge with public health wellness and health promotion strategies.
- Experience with an Accredited Association (JHACO, AAAHC, etc.)
- Bilingual or multi-lingual.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.